Land rover sensual assualts

serendipity

Yesterday I had the delightful experience of driving a friends lovely old series 2 SWB. 'Twas strangely nostalgic, and I was reunited with a favourite old sensual pleasure ( no not the rumbling of the gearbox through the seat) as speed increased the clattering of the old engine gave way to the doleful whine of the old firestone tyres, blissfully mournful in tone and surely the soundtrack to a bygone era.

So what are your favourite sounds, and indeed smells, that emanate from your pride and joy, I love the smell of mud burning on the exhaust myself.

Yesterday I had the delightful experience of driving a friends lovely old series 2 SWB. 'Twas strangely nostalgic, and I was reunited with a favourite old sensual pleasure ( no not the rumbling of the gearbox through the seat) as speed increased the clattering of the old engine gave way to the doleful whine of the old firestone tyres, blissfully mournful in tone and surely the soundtrack to a bygone era.

So what are your favourite sounds, and indeed smells, that emanate from your pride and joy, I love the smell of mud burning on the exhaust myself.

A bit sad but yes I know what you mean - mine just er smells of Series three, combination of goodness knows what but it just smells 'right'

As to noise - yes mine can do that too but as you say it all just adds to the whole experience/ambience.

Happy Land Rovering!!

Mud on the exhaust gets my vote too.

Though to be more specific, Exmoor mud on the exhaust, as we have had some fantastic times there.

Sounds - Has to be that V8 burble in second gear low box whilst tickling up a rocky lane.

Well the 109 currently smells of burning ATF mixed with a bit of 10/40 <_< although that should be sorted soon. I don't think you can ever rid a LR of the smell of hot EP90 and a bit of petrol, it's just how it's supposed to be.

As for noise, it's quite a noisy thing to drive as you have:

Interrupter fuel pump ticking

EFi fuel pump whirring

Fans blowing

V8 roaring (burbling is too slow with the current gearing :rolleyes: )

Gearboxes whining

What I think is the pad on the X-brake rattling (at least I hope it is!)

And the Petlas drowning it all out above 30mph, daaaamn they're noisy, it sounds like a squadron of lancasters going down the road :lol:

I think I'm in love :wub:

The smell of the interior after the 110's been in the sun for a few hours.

I've poked my head through a few Defenders windows and they all smell the same. Lovely. :ph34r:

Also, the smell of the hot engine.

And the smell of EP90 has a peculiar charm.

Pardon me for saying this, but in my case it's highly a highly frequent occurrence, but the smell of the tyre shine spray I use, which also goes on the rubber mats inside. That's lost me any vestiges of respect I may have earnt here.

The sound of a properly executed Double de-cluth downshift from 3rd to 2nd in my IIA always makes me smile... possible the lack of the sound of me cocking it up is more accurate!

Hmmmmm, difficult one......

I'm torn between the smell of the leather, the smoothness of the walnut dash, the softness of the Wilton carpet or the warmth of the heated seats........ :lol::lol:

Of course, if the 8 pot was still in there there'd be no contest!

lol @ Bish :lol:

I'm another one that loves the smell of mud on a hot exhaust B)

What I love more is idling down a green lane or round a site day listing to the engine with the windows open and the sun beating down, I love the fact I can go pretty much anywhere at just above idle :)

Nothing beats the Scooby flat four burrble though, especially at 5,000rpm :D

However, I won't miss the skinned knuckles and lack of finger nails that comes from dismatling/rebuilding a Series! :ph34r:

Definately that hot gear oil smell mixed with the dust and dry grass of a field...

Sounds - there's the actual sound of Torque, it manifests itself as this low, slow ticking from an original carb'd V8 pulling from a slow rolling start in 2nd.

I'm gonna miss that once the Td5 is in :lol:

All the more reason to mount up some Tanoys and play Flight of the Valkyries everywhere I go

Guest WALFY
Mud on the exhaust gets my vote too.

Though to be more specific, Exmoor mud on the exhaust, as we have had some fantastic times there.

Sounds - Has to be that V8 burble in second gear low box whilst tickling up a rocky lane.

Aid

Sad to say that you may never smell or hear that again :angry: . Unless you do a few lanes and don't see any of the signposts ;) ;).

If you do head that way let me know :D

My favourite sound, whilst not from my motor (well, the V8 probably wins), is the sound of someone far off in the woods opening the throttle of their V8 as they tackle a particularly nast bit of terrain!! Paul Wightman's Piggy springs to mind having experienced it at Slindon during the MWWC!! :wub:

As for smells, there's nothing like the boggy smell of fresh damp leaves on the interior mat drying out under the air vents during an autumnal green laning trip whilst, as Bish points out, nestling back into the leather seats and shifting into D with the walnut encased auto selector and purring off down the lane without having to spin the turbo up!!! :i-m_so_happy:

:o

You'd better come round, I can provide that in abundance at the moment. ;):P

Chris

I'll pop round when you're least expecting it! :ph34r: mmmmmmn

As an alternative the worst smell I ever experienced (passengers excluded!) was Strata Florida river water evaporating as the carpets and seats dryed out. YUCK!

Aid

Sad to say that you may never smell or hear that again :angry: . Unless you do a few lanes and don't see any of the signposts ;) ;).

If you do head that way let me know :D

Alas, you may be right.

You do however put me in mind of another satisfying smell - That of a still warm rambler on my winch bumper :D

And a sound - the distant murmur of 'you're not supposed to be driving down here' coming from the front of the car. :D :D