diff lock

Archie

Ive just been out to my 1995 300tdi es, i was messing about with the Diff lock control by the gear stick.

It was really hard to move from H to L an but it went in ok, is this normal or is it because of lack of use.

Also there isnt a diff lock light on the dashhboard, even though i did lock the diff, would the light Not coming on mean there could be a problem driving in 4 wheel drive when off road. Is there anyway i can test it to see if the 4x4 is working without taking it off road.

Many thanks

Archie

Lack of use is most likely

Jack up one front wheel with the handbrake on and the vehicle in neutral. It should spin freely. Now engage diff lock - it shouldn't. If the wheel locks and will not spin, the switch is probably the culprit, if it doesn't, its probably transfer box surgery time...

I had issues with my difflock being hard to engage, and then not staying engaged. In the end I came to the conclusion that the lever wasn't moving far enough accross to get difflock to engage fully.

First thing I did was to go underneath and spray wd40 on the linkage to make sure it was all free to move. After a while though, i ended um making the link between the lever and the transfer box slightly longer so it took less movement of the gearstick to put it fully into difflock...

I would do as Mr. Monster suggests, but also crawl underneath and check your linkages...

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the replies, ill get it a good dosing with WD later after work.

Archie

WD40 is great for getting things going, but not too hot for long term lubrication of exposed linkages - I find a spray with motorcycle chain wax (I use Castol - works really well and has the best applicator) works a treat. It comes out solvent-thin so it gets in between the links, it lubricates ok and has an anti-corrosion additives, keeps out water, and doesn't attract too much muck.

TwoSheds

Thanks for all the replies ive got it sussed now i think, ive give it a good dosing with 4x4 and its losened it up, i can now lock the diff and get the light on the dash,

I will get some of that spray TwoSheds at the weekend.

Just one more point, is the discovery full time 4x4?

Archie