TD5 sub into 300Tdi

geoffbeaumont

Anyone know if the subwoofer for a TD5 Disco can be persuaded to fit in the rear door of a 300Tdi? I'm not expecting it to just drop in, but if it can be engineered there're some going on ebay at the moment for reasonable money.

I need something to drown out the noise of that nasty rattly diseasel! :P

Just out of interest, is the wiring already there in a TD5, or is it only provided for spec'd up stereo systems??

I ask, cos I know that some other bits are fitted, just not wired up due to customers not requiring that option.....cruise control, for example!

Not sure, mine has the 11 speaker system in so it has all the wiring, I've never looked at other vehicles. Some of the harnesses will almost certainly be different because the highline ICE has an amplifier under the seat so the speaker wiring must go to that, whereas on base Series 2's the amplifier in the head unit does the job so the speaker wiring must go there instead. Also there are multiple speakers in the doors on the highline model instead of just one on the base model so the door harnesses are probably different too.

I guess you could probably fit the whole thing, housing and all?

That was what I was planning on - it's not replacing an existing sub, so nothing to butcher, and the door trim is already knackered so I don't mind fabricating something new to replace it, maybe from alloy sheet. What I'm trying to figure out is whether the TD5 sub would physically fit into the space in a 300Tdi door.

I do remember reading somewhere that the door skin is the only common panel between old and new, though I don't know if it is true. Whether the frame is the same as well, I'm not sure - and whether the sub needs space inside the door or just sits in the "box", I also don't know...

Well, I've just received a TD5 Harmon-Kardon sub ordered off eBay - haven't offered it up to the door yet but it looks doable.

Does anyone have a piccie of the sub enclosure/trim? Or even better have a beige one they'd like to part with?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I've just received a TD5 Harmon-Kardon sub ordered off eBay - haven't offered it up to the door yet but it looks doable.

Does anyone have a piccie of the sub enclosure/trim? Or even better have a beige one they'd like to part with?

Took the door trim off today and had a proper look at this - the sub fits perfectly, all the mounting holes line up, so the good news is that the TD5 sub is definitely a drop in fit to a Mk1 door. The down sides are that the wiring is not there (my truck is a base model - only has a really nasty two speaker system - there are wires for the rear speakers but not the sub) and it's a passive sub so needs a separate amp.

I can't find anyone selling a sub enclosure, or even a photo of one, so definitely looks like I'll have to fabricate one from scratch.

The amp could be a bit of a problem - so far I haven't found anyone selling cheap amps (dedicated sub or a full system one with a sub out), and I'm a bit reluctant to sink more money into a sound system that's going into a noisy land rover. Especially when I haven't decided whether I'm selling it at the end of the summer yet :unsure: