Bah Humbug

rb199

Doh! Timing belt just gone (97' 300TDi dicovery) and there was me thinking that the engine stopping and not restarting was the pesky spider :angry:

So come on you lot cheer me up and tell me that it will not be that bad when it is taken apart (was only doing 25mph and had just changed gear)

Oh and while we are at it what is the thoughts on zeus timing gears?

I would be inclined to do a search on both subjects...

however, in summary:

timing belf snapping won't be _that_ bad - bent pushrods will be the worst bit.

Zues timing gears - steer well clear....

I am sure more comprehensive replies will follow though... ;)

Cheers

Mark

Remove the rocker cover and rocker assembly, take the pushrods out of the engine and roll each one on a flat surface. Any that appear bent will have to be replaced - they are only a few quid each. Check also that any of the rockers aren't fractured or broken. Replace the timing belt, tensioner, etc as shown in this thread:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6943

Les. :)

I have come across one where the valves hitting the pistons jammed the top rings. And another where all four cylinders had a thumbnail shaped groove in the bore. And another one where the injectors had hit the pistons (but that is another story).

I have come across one where the valves hitting the pistons jammed the top rings. And another where all four cylinders had a thumbnail shaped groove in the bore. And another one where the injectors had hit the pistons (but that is another story).

By you know how to cheer some one up don't you!! :unsure::unsure:

What was the remedial action required on all of these problems?

I hate to say it but all these were from engines which we had to recondition. We don't have Turners here so have to do it ourselves, so to speak.

But if you want to take your motor apart yourself you may find that the head is reclaimable with new valves and guides (cheap) and with a new gasket away you go. Be careful about skimming the head, the valves will then be too near to the pistons so the seats should be recut the same amount. And if you overdo it the injectors will hit the pistons....