most surprising thing missed on your landys MOT

steve_a

Jeez, picked the 90 up after finally MOTing it, just done loads of welding on chassis, and as a final check over noted that pads were looking low enough to fail at MOT so we changed all four wheels.

Doing right side and as I got right on finishing front brother had a problem with the rear with a seized piston, so I got distracted into sorting that out. As you might guess I had *mostly* reassembled the brakes, missing was the split pin (they are the solid pin retaining type) in both and bottom, either I hadn't splayed the pin, or I did not put them in at all, I think it is the former.

Anyway, dropped it at garage for MOT and got call yesterday saying passed, I had remembered that day that I might have not completed the job, but I assumed that since it had passed that the garage had spotted it and sorted it out.

When I collected it today they didn't know anything about it, and when I checked one of the pins was missing and the split pin had disappeared out of the top one. Can't believe that the garage and the MOT missed it, it only took me to turn the wheel so I could look in and it was clear that it was missing.

It's good to know that the MOT guys will hammer holes through my chassis, but miss my dangerous brakes....

So what is the worst thing missed on your MOT (that you weren't trying to hide :) )

Think the worst thing that's ever been completely missed was the absence of the rear number plate lights on the range rover (no wires in the tailgate that's on it at the moment - I forgot). It failed that MOT because the ABS light came on - I took it away, cleared the fault codes and took it back for a retest, which it passed. The ABS light came on on the way home and has been on ever since...*

* For the record, I know what the fault is - it's a front sensor out of range or failed - but can't do anything about it without changing the swivel pin as well, as the garage that did the swivel for me kindly forced a damaged sensor back into the new pin (or maybe just shoved the old pin back in) and it's jammed solid.

A ''friend of mine'' very close to me once got a Landy he just bought through roadworthy inspection by draining all the oils from front and rear axle assemblies, gearbox and transfercase just around the corner from the testing station. All these components leaked like spaghetti strainers and are a definate fail. A quick wipe down of everything with a petrol soaked rag before presenting the vehicle and it passed with flying colors, aside from needing a windscreen pane.

Bill.

The 90 misses the MOT all together

Don't have any MOT's here in Aus (Queensland) in fact nothing at all as long as you own the truck. Had it on the road here for coming up to 2 years and no one has looked under it since it got here

Good or bad thing , don't really know, after seeing some of the sheds on the road i would say bad thing

Don't have any MOT's here in Aus (Queensland) in fact nothing at all as long as you own the truck.

Isn't it a similar situation in Canada where IIRC you only have a test if the vehicle is getting sold ?

My lightweight V8 court fire on the way home from its MOT (a fuel line went up.)

my wife flashed me down in the freelander camel ever since that day we have proper fire prevention in all our cars the camels AFFF put it out otherwise we would have lost the car.

That old Riley again - the points welded up reversing out of the test bay having just passed.

I had a rubber petrol pipe split on the way to the test, switched over to LPG and it passed because they could only test "as presented" and it was presented running on LPG. Still scary though as the gas tank had been running on empty for a few days. I fitted a new rubber pipe on their forecourt after the test.

I had the bonnet fly open against the screen on the way home from an Mot years ago where the tester hadn't shut the bonnet properly! Scary...........

Jon

I had that on my rangy going down a country lane, scary stuff

Mine failed on one Ball joint next to steering box, Railko bushes on one side & Loose "U" bolts on the springs......

Further taking apart has reviled the front drive shaft UJ has exploded and sent all its roller bearings all over the place and some of the Ball Joints that passed are knacked so I will be replacing the lot!

Im going to do the other side just in case thats as bad!

sorry it was a zuk, but tester missed some tin worm on my chassis that you could poke you rfinger through. i elightened him after as he was a good bloke i used to use a lot. he replied. well i guess thats on your to do list then, so i neednt worry, lol

sorry it was a zuk, but tester missed some tin worm on my chassis that you could poke you rfinger through. i elightened him after as he was a good bloke i used to use a lot. he replied. well i guess thats on your to do list then, so i neednt worry, lol

Hmmm! I expected my Defender to fail last MOT because of the (ahem) "creeping lightness" :unsure: in the rear x member.... :ph34r:

Steve

Prop U/J's being worn are not an MOT fail - just an advisory. A completely squashed brake pipe that wouldn't allow fluid would have failed the brake test if it had been done at all (which is unlikely). Otherwise the tester wouldn't know that a squashed pipe will no longer allow fluid through it. A distorted or flattened brake pipe is not an MOT fail - just security, excessive corrosion, and leaks is tested.

Les.

Prop U/J's being worn are not an MOT fail - just an advisory. A completely squashed brake pipe that wouldn't allow fluid would have failed the brake test if it had been done at all (which is unlikely). Otherwise the tester wouldn't know that a squashed pipe will no longer allow fluid through it. A distorted or flattened brake pipe is not an MOT fail - just security, excessive corrosion, and leaks is tested.

Les.

I asked the 'tester about it Les - I wanted to make sure he used a Tapley, which he had - he put it down to the 'super efficient' front brakes and over heavy 'rear end' :D

Guest weeble
I asked the 'tester about it Les - I wanted to make sure he used a Tapley, which he had - he put it down to the 'super efficient' front brakes and over heavy 'rear end' :D

If it was a rear prop joint it would fail the MOT, as it forms part of the braking system for the transmission hand brake.

My lightweight V8 court fire on the way home from its MOT (a fuel line went up.)

my wife flashed me down in the freelander camel ever since that day we have proper fire prevention in all our cars the camels AFFF put it out otherwise we would have lost the car.

That was lucky. Lucky that the AFFF actually put it out!

Similar to rtbarton. Took my RR for a test. He said "Your petrol tanks got a leak about half way up the side, but you came in on LPG, so I can't fail you for it. If you don't replace it by next year, either come in on LPG again, or only put a little petrol in the tank, so we can't see any fuel leaking out."