Defender 2007 top speed?

chb

Could any of the lucky new owners confirm; or not; that the top speed is indeed limited to 82mph, and if so how does it affect you going down a steep hill.......

Has anybody got any news on how to derestrict the motor..like cutting the "red cable" etc.

Cheers

Charlie

Guest diesel_jim

Chatting to the service and sales guys at my local dealership, they say that "it's easy to disable the speed limiter with our testbook software"

so just trundle to your dealers with a 4-pack and sweet talk them. ;)

I took one down the M50 the other week , and Driving it like i had stolen it , the limmiter fluctuated around 80mph I kept the boot down and it seemed to overide the limiter and we ended up at nearly 95 mph , Which IMHO is damn scary in a truck cabbed tractor.

Remember the speedo can read a few mph faster than your actually going. With my sat nav on the dash, I managed to get it to read 83! But most of the time its stays bang on 82 (idicated speed about 85-86).

It been the same on the 2 07s I had.

Mark.

Guest diesel_jim
IIRC the limiter is set at 84mph not 82

According to a colleage the limiter only works in 6th, so in theory 5th could be used to accelerate past the limit

Lewis :)

In which case, just disconnect the 6th speed switch and hey presto!

Thanks all. My idea is to chop my TD5 110 for a 2007, as my sons refuse to ride in the back of the TD5 and prefer my wife's G.Vitara. However I can't really accept a lower top speed as distances are vast here.......

Cheers

Charlie

Yup, mine pulls really well to 82mph (on the GPS) and then you feel it back off and sit there. If you come to an uphill gradient it will accelerate again to get back to 82. If you hit it a down hill gradient (even slight) it will pick up speed - mine has seen ove 90mph (on private roads of course) on a slope.

I've also been told that the limiter can be switched off using testbook.

Mind you 80mph at under 3000 rpm makes for a nice motorway cruise.

Do you really want to go faster than about 80mph in a Defender, unless you have a death wish :unsure:

To be honest - no.

When I got mine I thought I'd rather have it unlimited but then 80mph is plenty fast enough in a Defender and saves fuel economy by keeping the revs down.

There are times when a bit more would be useful to get past some idiot in a Eurobox.

I used Babelfish to translate the page. It seem the Defender failed the "Moose test", essentially swerving at high speed round a moose or other large animal.

Chris

I would assume that the Jeep Wrangler that the Fender was compared with passed the same test ? There isn't a pic of it having a lie down. The Landy looks like a double decker bus by comparison.

Bill.

Nice to see everybody is running in their brand new engines with such sympathy :lol:

Landrover suggest keeping under 3000 rpm for the first 500 to 1000 miles. 3000 rpm in top is above 80mph.