Engine switch S1 2l petrol - 2,3l petrol

BrettPritt

Hi family,

I need your advice and help!

Serie I 86" RHD 1955 with original 2L petrol (spread bore) with original SI flywheelhousing/clutch/gearbox and original radiator

I have to switch the engine for a while

my original 2l petrol into a 2,3l petrol (5xcrankshaft bearing from SIII)

Which parts I´ll have to change, too:

Only flywheelhousing? Into which part?

Exhaustpipe?

Radiatorhose?

Engine mountings to chassis?

Oilbath aircleaner hose ?

Accelerator lever and rods because carb is now on the other side? Any pictures for me?

Dampers and springs I have from SII so I can use it again.

Dynamo connection to voltage control box (LU37138A) ?

Is the 2,3l nearer under the bonnet ? Any modifications herefor?

Please answer with concrete details/ mabe partnumbers and/or pics/links .

Thanks in advance

Uli from Germany

Hello Uli - I believe you bought a couple of axles off of me a couple of years ago?

Your spreadbore engine is a different animal as far as manifolds go, but it still uses the oil bath filter, so you might be able to just connect up to it with the original hose. Exhaust pipe exits through the inner wing, so unless you can connect a s3 downpipe to the rest of the system, you may have to fit a s3 system (only about £40 over here). The S3 carb may not have a fuel solenoid - just the pipe to the carb and that's it. The voltage is the same, so extend your wire to the other side of the engine if you need to - otherwise leave it redundant. Fuel pipes can be extended as required and you might find that if you have a throttle cable you can work out some way to connect it up. I would imagine that it wouldn't be that difficult to temporarily fit a S3 throttle cable if it's required. I think you might have a bit of a problem with engine mounts. My 86" S1 had some real fancy engine mounting rubbers on that were very different from a series 3.

I know someone that has an 80" S1 with a 2.25 petrol engine in that may well be happy to supply you with pictures etc. Would have to pm you the details though.

Les.

Okay, as far as I know now:

Original SI-bellhousing to early SII-bellhousing cause SIII-Flywheel has another drilling template/ middle stud at 12.ooh. Does the "manual" SI clutch pedal move the SIII clutch basket?

And when I´ll go the other way? Changing the SIII-Flywheel housing and Flywheel and Clutch basket etc? Does the SI-flywheelhousing fit at the SIII-engine with the SI-flywheel and the SI-clutch(basket )etc? Will there be a lenght-problem, maybe with the shaft ?

This procedure is very common in UK, but it looks like, that noone knows exactly what to do.

Another information reached me, that I have to use one SI engine mounting bracket and on the other side a SII/III engine mounting bracket for having no problems with flywheelhousing rest on the chassis cross member. But the mate can´t remember which one on which side.

Who has fine and concrete details of what to do and which part to use? Sorry I haven´t two boxes full of old stuff in the cellar for playing try and error. I have to buy and must organize everything, especially older parts.

Hello Brett, My S1 has a 2.25 engine fitted, well it did but I have stripped it for a full rebuild, I have heard that the bell housing will foul the chassis member, I have replaced the mountings with the round ones (later S2 and 3) on the engine mounts and the gearbox mounts. I have been told that this should be OK with no problem with chassis.

The clutch, mainshaft etc appears to be standard on mine so should fit without problem.

See my other post re carb. elbow fouling bonnet.

The clutch appears standard so should be OK, I will count the studs and bolts on the bell housing and look if there is a bolt at 12.00 O'clock, I will let you know.

Thats all I can say until I refit mine.

Geoff

Uli,

I'm sure I either PM'd you or have posted details of a lot of this previously... Maybe it's my memory...

>Only flywheelhousing? Into which part?

Keep the flywheel housing that is attached to the engine. Use a Series 2 bellhousing - part number 277961.

>Exhaustpipe?

Standard Series exhaust pipe for a 2.25 petrol.

>Radiatorhose?

You will need to either move the radiator outlet to the right hand side (when looking from the drivers seat), or make up a long pipe somehow as it is on the other side to a 2-litre engine.

>Engine mountings to chassis?

Leave the chassis alone! Use the normal 2.25 engine mount on the left hand side. I was told to use a 2.25 bracket on the right hand side with an angled adaptor, but I found that drilling a new hole in the original 2-litre mount worked fine.

>Oilbath aircleaner hose?

Either make something to go across the engine to the original oil-bath or put a pancake filter on the carb. As the carb is close to the bonnet you might need to make something to fit the carb top.

>Accelerator lever and rods because carb is now on the other side? Any pictures for me?

You need the rods/levers etc from a Series 2 or 3.

>Dynamo connection to voltage control box (LU37138A) ?

Same as the 2-litre connections as it should also have a dynamo.

>Is the 2,3l nearer under the bonnet ? Any modifications herefor?

As above - the only bit that may be awkward is the air filter to carb connection.

Leave the chassis alone! Use the normal 2.25 engine mount on the left hand side. I was told to use a 2.25 bracket on the right hand side with an angled adaptor, but I found that drilling a new hole in the original 2-litre mount worked fine.

Edwardathon, you have raised a doubt in my mind now. I have fitted the round type engine mounts to the chassis x member. My engine awaits refitting. From what you say I will need to drill another hole in the xmember? How far from the orginal hole will this be (Approx) ? Thanks Geoff

Edwardathon, you have raised a doubt in my mind now. I have fitted the round type engine mounts to the chassis x member. My engine awaits refitting. From what you say I will need to drill another hole in the xmember? How far from the orginal hole will this be (Approx) ? Thanks Geoff

What I meant was that you can use the 2-litre mounting (the bit that bolts to the engine block) but you need to drill a new hole in it close to the block where the bolt comes through.

Just been outside and got some pics...

post-204-1183369175_thumb.jpg

post-204-1183369184_thumb.jpg

post-204-1183369193_thumb.jpg

post-204-1183369201_thumb.jpg

Very good, thanks for the pics.

S2 bellhousing, mounting brackets I have.

Now I have to look for the exhaust:

Which one?

page 45 , picture down left, last pipe # GEX 1376 for 109 petrol

http://www.bearmach.com/acatalog/series_fastparts_A4_lo.pdf

Does the front exhaust pipe still go through the wing, outside the chassis, only a little bit deeper as the SI - pipe?

Or does the pipe go down inside the engine bay and underneath the chassis it moves outside along the passenger seat area to go around the gearbox ?

Radiator hose, accelerator rod/lever, etc. will be no problem, I hope.

Only the carb adaptor to aircleaner hose will be a bit of experiment.

If there will be a problem, Ed maybe You can run outside and make some pictures again :rolleyes:

Geoff and Ed, thanks for your help

Uli