Weston Super Mud

MogLite

Ouch... a bit drastic but looking at the marks and the sand/mud around the vehicle, it looks like it had already been there for a full tide so if it had been in three or four feet of salt water it would have been a total write off already - maybe it didn't really matter what happened to it if that was the case. If not, an upward pull over something laid on the ground behind the vehicle would have been worth a try.

I hate unknown beaches, I have experienced the "sucky" feeling you get from unexpectedly hitting soft sand a long way out on a beach and it isn't nice - it happened to me doing about 40mph and the vehicle left marks about two inches deep in the (wet) sand (this was a 90 on 12.5 inch wide tyres so the normal footprint on firm sand is not a lot). I was fine on that occasion, just clenched a bit of seat cushion, but I'm guessing it was probably a good job I wasn't going any slower and I now treat beaches with a lot more caution!

Never fails to amaze me how many people insist on driving down towards the tide line at Weston - there are large signs at all the entrances to the beach and further on down about the deep mud... yet they still do it!

Weston Recovery still have at least one ex ww2 Scammell which they use for heavy recovery - they need it too - we've got the second highest tidal range in the world here, and the water comes in bl**dy quick!

Matt

That brings back memories! When I was 5 (1954) we were on holiday in Weston. The tide was out and there were some boats in the distance I fancied a look at so off I toddled. As soon as I hit the mud I went tip-over-base but nevertheless carried on, much to the amusement of a crowd gathered above the sea-wall.

By the time I was rescued I was covered head to foot in slime so Dad dumped me in the paddling pool to clean me up, which didn't go down too well with the paddlers!

All it says in the report is it belongs to Weston Recovery.

The guys who did the recoverys at weston super mere beach they had landys, one big bronco,

an a old scamell 6x6 to pull the nutter out.

the brothers got me in to landys a very long time ago

when i met them on holiday (i had my customised mk11 cortina estate)

TWIZZLE

I wonder if the towbar was tried, whould have sheared off ?

FFS -- oops indeed.

Looking at the extent of the deformation to the back the tow bar should have been OK I would have thought -- if it was a genuine one and used all the fixing points.

Can't figure out from the pics if the tow ball is still there or not?

surely it's illegal to drive on the beach at weston?

Nope. Most of the beach (at the Southern end) and at Uphill is used as a car park. From the pics, it looks as if Uphill was roughly where the Freelander was.

Also down at Uphill you've got the estuary of the River Axe, near to the boatyard and wharf - you'd be amazed at how many people try and walk across the river towards Brean Down at low tide too.

Matt