P38a Wheel Nuts

geoffbeaumont

Are they the same as older land rovers? Ben (beng) is currently a few wheel nuts short of a set :lol: - presumably courtesy of some theiving scrote that got interrupted before he managed to knick the wheels. He found this out while driving from Sheffield to Llandudno, which is a little inconvenient...especially as his brake was apparently smoking after he stopped to find out why the truck didn't want to go in a straight line :blink:

Haven't heard anything more from him, so I presume he's managed to carry on - I'm going over there tomorrow, so if I take some wheel nuts off my classic will they fit Ben's truck?

If they aren't the same, don't suppose there's anyone between Birmingham and Llandudno (or around Bangor way) who has four P38a nuts we could beg/borrow (I won't say steal...that seems in rather bad taste in the circumstances :angry: )?

Derbyshire is not anywhere on your path, so I can't help there.

I've never had a Classic RR, so am not intimate with any of the greasy bits, but I'd be rather surprised if the nuts / studs are the same. We know the PCD of the studs is smaller on the 38A, and wheels are generally wider, so I'd expect bigger studs / nuts on the 38A.

To compare with the Classic wheelnuts you have, I'd say the 38A stud is 14mm in diameter (the hole in the nut is 12mm ID), and the sleeve section of the nut (that fits in the wheel) is 29mm dia.

If you only need four, then why not just run each wheel with only 4 nuts? I reckon that would be safe enough, especially as Ben would be sensitised to any strange feelings that might be caused if one of the remaining 4 loosened slightly.

Disco II nuts ARE the same as 38A nuts, because that's where I got my replacements from, via eBay.

I thought it was a bit of a long shot :(

Turns out P38a nuts are actually quite a bit smaller than classic ones - Ben had already nicked a nut off each of the other wheels (must have been two left on the one that had been loosened, he had a full set of five on that corner), so he's still running like that.

As far as we could tell the brake's rubbing on that corner - whether this was caused by the loose wheel or whether it was already rubbing an he hadn't noticed we'll probably never know.

I thought it was a bit of a long shot :(

Turns out P38a nuts are actually quite a bit smaller than classic ones - Ben had already nicked a nut off each of the other wheels (must have been two left on the one that had been loosened, he had a full set of five on that corner), so he's still running like that.

As far as we could tell the brake's rubbing on that corner - whether this was caused by the loose wheel or whether it was already rubbing an he hadn't noticed we'll probably never know.

had the rear end up again.... wheel ran smoothly... took the brakes out and re-coppersliped them... so far so good. Really wierd - good she has been on the road through all the floods tho :-)