O/T Chainsaws

white90

Great to hear some positive comments about saws, there use and the use of protective equuipment!

To echo another post earlier - it frightens me that anyone can walk into a DIY 'warehouse' style store and walk out with one! without being advised on safety equipment or use of the saw.

The guy who buys a saw from the DIY warehouse on saturday morning then cuts his arm off on sunday afternoon suddenly becomes a 'tree surgeon' in the local paper on monday night and the statistics for our industry become over inflated.

Just one last comment on top handled saws, I have met loads of climbers/groundsmen over the years who have scars on their left arms all due to using a saw one handed but not necessarily a one handed saw.

In the old days stihl made a saw called the 009 which was like a top handled saw but with a rear handle and this was light enough to waft about like Zorro so you could hold a log or branch in one hand and happily cut your arm to bits with the other, which is what a lot of people did and still do, strange!.

We supply, and repair most makes.

McCulloch/Partner

Cheap n cheerful, OK for light domestic use. Not good enough for us to sell.

Jonhsered/Husqvarna.

Good saws, easier to work on than Stihl but cheap johnsereds are very similar to McCullochs due to them all being made by Electrolux.

Interestingly - Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch & Partner are all the same Company now and nothing to do with Electrolux.

Husqvarna is now a 'stand-alone' company encompassing all those brands (and a lot more)

Most Husqvarna & Jonsered are made in the factory in Huskvarna Sweden

Most McCulloch & some Partner are made in Valmadrera, Italy

Some of all brands (inc Husqvarna) are made in DeQueen, Arkansas, USA

It's the age old story - you get what you pay for!

Just checked our Husqvarna ordering system, and we still order from Electrolux, and the spares price list is shared with Flymo and the rest of the group.

McCulloch Europe is owned by Electrolux but McCulloch USA is a different company altogether. Not all spares are available for USA products as they are not all supported in the UK.

Just a quick edit

Husqvarna is indeed now a seperate group and no longer part of Electrolux. However Electrolux still show it as part of their group. They still clearly work closely together. Flymo is now also part of Husqvarna group.

I think if you could check the shareholders they would be seperate companies joined at the hip. :rolleyes:

Just checked our Husqvarna ordering system, and we still order from Electrolux, and the spares price list is shared with Flymo and the rest of the group.

That's because in UK they share warehouse with Electrolux Parts (in Newton Aycliffe, North East) and have to utilise the Electrolux web solution. This is the only country where this happens but will change soon to a Husqvarna Solution (very much like the web warranty if you use it)

McCulloch Europe is owned by Electrolux but McCulloch USA is a different company altogether. Not all spares are available for USA products as they are not all supported in the UK.

Just a quick edit

Husqvarna is indeed now a seperate group and no longer part of Electrolux. However Electrolux still show it as part of their group. They still clearly work closely together. Flymo is now also part of Husqvarna group.

Your correct about McCulloch, we only purchased 'outside' of USA and it does cause problems on old USA saws - but they are becoming few and far between.

The USA operation was purchased by Jeng Feng (Chinese Chainsaw manufacturer) and are already making inroads to Europe. As they purchased tools as well - you will see some similarities with McCulloch saws :blink:

The 'Outdoor Products' business was 'spun off' from Electrolux over a year ago as a 'stand alone' company under teh Husqvarna name, although our 'legal' head office is still in Stockholm in same building as Electrolux.

Flymo have always been part of the same group and are now part of Husqvarna group as you rightly state.

Recent purchases include Zenoah and more recently Gardena.

Do you attend the UK training courses?

J

McCulloch corp went belly up a number of years ago and the carcass was picked over with Electrolux buying the rights to the name fro the rest of the world, and a Taiwanese corporation picking up the rights for Nth America.

Neither company has anything to do with McCulloch of old.

New chain fitted adjusted oiled and chainsaw cleaned thoroughly

now cuts through the sleepers like a Demon.

amazing amount of crud under the covers of the saw.

As this one starts and runs well I'll keep using ut a little longer rather than spend out for a new saw just yet.

Thanks for all the advice

I'll get a Husqvarna as and when the need arises.

I think the 142e is the one I'll go for after looking at what's available.

I was going to buy a chainsaw a few years ago for cutting up logs & general DIY Dental work. I was persuaded by my friends to buy an electric one - because it always starts! I didn't really believe them - but they turned out to be spot on. I have a Stihl saw as well, which although it's pretty good, gets used so infrequently that it needs a rebuild before each use. The eleccy one is just as powerful, you can leave it in the shed for a couple of years, plug it in and away it goes!

The eleccy one is made by Bosch, came from Homebase and was about the same price as most of the similar sized petrol models.

OK, you can't reenact the texas chainsaw massacre quite so easily in your local high street (unless you've seen driller killer!) but I suspect that you'd have been nicked before you got the petrol one started and running properly anyway! ;)

Si

my old man had a sachs dolmar (sp?) 50cc or so jobbie, bloody good saw but the engine seized on it, but then that was after 22 years of faultless service! he also got a small Echo, again a bloody good saw.

Havent been on a training course for a while now. The trouble is all the manufacturers run the courses at our busiest time of the year when we are doing winter servicing. Nobody runs them in october when we are twiddling our thumbs. All the dealers I know complain endlessly about this but to no avail.

Have to admit to owning an electric Bosch too, a very old one. I like the fact that I can cut logs under the carport without upsetting the neighbours. I dont like the tools free bar fitting on the new ones as I can never get it to work properly.

For petrol I have an old Alpina made from scrap :D

I used to like the Tanake electric saw as we got a good deal on it, but they have stopped supplying it as they had too many problems (we didn't have any). This was a re-badged McCulloch in orange which I think is now available as a Husqvarna going by the catalogue.

As for buying cheap chains, most is made by Oregon anyway so there are bargains around. Stihl make their own but Oregon is just as good. We keep chain on 100ft rolls as there are so many different saws around.

I was just on about saws with some of the woodchucks up in VT. These guys actually mod their saws! Balanced cranks, tuned exhausts, ignition timing. That's so sad, it's actaully cool :blink:

Anyway, the Husky 346 and 350 are excellent bang for buck.

I was just on about saws with some of the woodchucks up in VT. These guys actually mod their saws! Balanced cranks, tuned exhausts, ignition timing. That's so sad, it's actaully cool :blink:

Anyway, the Husky 346 and 350 are excellent bang for buck.

yep, there's an arborist forum I've visited a few times where the boys do all that 'hotting up' stuff, including changing port timing, etc, just like you'd do on a kart or bike 2 stroke.

but i cannot put more emphasis on PPE, and i'm talking trousers, helmet with ear and eye protection, protective gloves (with anti vibe cushioning) and protective boots. All should be at least class 1 protection, gloves i think can be class 0.

my trousers alone were over 130 quid but theyre all around protection and i can use them for climbing too. PPE has a price, but what price do you put on your ability to walk or even breath. harsh but sadly true im afraid

be safe

Jim

Where would the uneducated, (me :blush:) go about getting some top quality PPE.

Where would the uneducated, (me :blush:) go about getting some top quality PPE.

Your in Nottingham?

If you want good stuff at good prices take a trip into Loughborough to DM Chainsaws Meadow Lane. Stuart there is very very good has most stuff in stock too.

Alternatively there is PS Marsden on the Colwick ind estate Nottingham can't reccomend them though as never used them.

If you want conatct details/directions to DM drop me a pm

Cheers

Matt

Got a lot of my PPE from Ebay :ph34r: Just get the proper stuff. Stihl boots new for £65 should have been a lot more. Trousers for £30 from the car boot brand new. But got a brand new Stihl hard hat from a tools place by me £25. Gloves again from car boot new for £5. I have not found a jackey as yet ;)

Paul

Got a lot of my PPE from Ebay :ph34r: Just get the proper stuff. Stihl boots new for £65 should have been a lot more. Trousers for £30 from the car boot brand new. But got a brand new Stihl hard hat from a tools place by me £25. Gloves again from car boot new for £5. I have not found a jackey as yet ;)

Paul

Paul

Are you after a jacket with protection in it??

Matt

Yep Ebay is a good place if you are confidant about sizes! I have to try all my trousers on to get the right leg length being a lanky so and so!

You can buy just wrap around leggings loaded with ballistic nylon for around £60, but protection is limted just up to the top of your legs. Your dangly bits and backside will not be protected though. The Forestry Comission wouldn't allow me to use them and I bought a bib and brace set instead. Jackets, right glove, and face shield weren't compulsory then (not sure if they are now even). Protective boots are though - it's surprising how many people have clipped their toes while snedding/cross cutting (my boots had a few cuts in them, so saved me a few times).

Interestingly, the Council for the protection of rural England, The National Trust, private estates, and other similar organisations didn't at that time make it a requirement to wear PPE of any kind. I guess it's all been tightened up since I was doing it. When I first started cutting I had a tape measure, a can of fuel, a can of chain lube, two chainsaws, a pair of boots, jeans, and a T-shirt. I went in at the deep end too - storm blown/hung up big Larch and Sitka Spruce. Never did cut myself, although I've seen a few - been bashed a few times by trees that defy gravity though :D

Les.

You can buy just wrap around leggings loaded with ballistic nylon for around £60, but protection is limted just up to the top of your legs. Your dangly bits and backside will not be protected though. The Forestry Comission wouldn't allow me to use them and I bought a bib and brace set instead. Jackets, right glove, and face shield weren't compulsory then (not sure if they are now even). Protective boots are though - it's surprising how many people have clipped their toes while snedding/cross cutting (my boots had a few cuts in them, so saved me a few times).

Interestingly, the Council for the protection of rural England, The National Trust, private estates, and other similar organisations didn't at that time make it a requirement to wear PPE of any kind. I guess it's all been tightened up since I was doing it. When I first started cutting I had a tape measure, a can of fuel, a can of chain lube, two chainsaws, a pair of boots, jeans, and a T-shirt. I went in at the deep end too - storm blown/hung up big Larch and Sitka Spruce. Never did cut myself, although I've seen a few - been bashed a few times by trees that defy gravity though :D

Les.

Those times are gone unfortuneatly! nearly all the councils, parks authorities and local organisations round here all insist on you being kitted out to HSE Recommendations. Gloves is an interesting topic as the left hand is compulsory the right is recommended but both can be removed if they make the operation more dangerous in certain circumstances.

The protective chap things are not recommended by many people now and they are about 60 quid new it seems pretty pointless when a good pair of trouser can be had for 75 quid.

Matt

Paul

Are you after a jacket with protection in it??

Matt

Yep Ebay is a good place if you are confidant about sizes! I have to try all my trousers on to get the right leg length being a lanky so and so!

Yes Matt, I will get one one day ;) Its the only bit of PPE I am missing. I have the Bib-braces-trousers.

Paul

Yes Matt, I will get one one day ;) Its the only bit of PPE I am missing. I have the Bib-braces-trousers.

Paul

Its only a requirement for climbing work, unless you feel you want one, I warn you though have your weetabix as the jackets are flippin heavy and you will be two inches shorter after wearing one!! :D

Those times are gone unfortuneatly! nearly all the councils, parks authorities and local organisations round here all insist on you being kitted out to HSE Recommendations. Gloves is an interesting topic as the left hand is compulsory the right is recommended but both can be removed if they make the operation more dangerous in certain circumstances.

The protective chap things are not recommended by many people now and they are about 60 quid new it seems pretty pointless when a good pair of trouser can be had for 75 quid.

Matt

Good God. They'd have a calf if they saw some of the lax practice that goes on up in the Green Mountain state. We really do need to pay more attention to safety and procedure. It's all a bit Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-Waiting-to-Happen out on the trail....