OT MX-5 min. pad thickness

Guest MJG

OT I know but consulting in here usually elicts words of wisdom.

Off to France (round trip of about 2,000 miles) next Friday.

Wipped the front pads out of Jan's MX-5 today to change them and the useless ******* at my local motor factors have supplied the wrong ones :angry::angry::angry:

It is now gong to be a real chew to get tham changed on back on the car before we go. The pads on have approx 5mm left on them and look approx 1/2 as thick as the new ones.

Question is - will this get me through the round trip or should I just bite the bullet and resign myslef to fixing them after work in the dark late one night this week. <_<<_<<_<

Cheers folks.

depends on your driving and where your going i suppose. if they are half the new thickness when were the last lot fitted? more than 2k miles ago?

last set on my def lasted 88k but then it depends on how much you use the brakes!

Manufacturers recommended pad change thickness is 3-4mm. MOT minimum pad thickness is 1.5mm. If you have 5mm left on the pads I would expect you to get a few more 1000 miles out of them before they need to be replaced. This does depend on your driving style/amount of times you use the brakes of course. Another consideration is the make of the pads - dealer ones and makes such as Ferodo and AP Lockheed tend to last a lot longer than ASDA's own brand (for instance). Mazda cars are good, but changing the pads at the side of the road if you decide to carry a spare set with you just in case, is a bit of a pain - the pistons have to be screwed back in.

Les.

Manufacturers recommended pad change thickness is 3-4mm. MOT minimum pad thickness is 1.5mm. If you have 5mm left on the pads I would expect you to get a few more 1000 miles out of them before they need to be replaced. This does depend on your driving style/amount of times you use the brakes of course. Another consideration is the make of the pads - dealer ones and makes such as Ferodo and AP Lockheed tend to last a lot longer than ASDA's own brand (for instance). Mazda cars are good, but changing the pads at the side of the road if you decide to carry a spare set with you just in case, is a bit of a pain - the pistons have to be screwed back in.

Les.

Cheers Les - as it happens I struck lucky and the factors I got them from was still open 'till five today (I was sure they closed at luchtime) - so got the pads exchanged and have fitted them. Given all the above I think it is the best option Jan tends to do most of the driving while I navigate and she is a bit 'heavy' on the brakes to be honest as she likes to leave the slowing down thing to the last possible second.. :o

Not good I know but well she of course knows better.

Thanks for the input folks.