Leaky back window

Managed to track leak at rear to rear door window where seals seem to have gone so allowing water through. I unscrewed about 20 self tappers and removed some rather fragile looking alu strips. There was a sticky tape between alu and glass and then again between glass and door.

I ended up cleaning it all up and then wadging it in with clear silicone and fitting strips (using a couple more pieces than originally since quite fragile :ph34r: ) back with new self tappers since the old ones were horrid.

Two questions.

Firstly I hope my repair sounds reasonably proficient or have I made a blunder? Would it be worth trying to get new alu strips?

Second I would love to know if I was fixing a 16 year old original window setup or if it had been previously done/bodged before?

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

Malcy

Aye there are more than a few leaks and I have invested in Really Useful Boxes for the back but still, when you see an obvious leak it seems to make sense to try and fix it!

I still have the really annoying one at the front when it is raining overnight. About 5 miles into my normal run I have to turn right on a roundabout and every time my right foot gets a waterfall on it. This is a doubly rude awakening since I invariably wear sandals! One day I will find that one but fear it may involve serious work on the bulkhead - where did I put that lottery ticket?

Best wishes

Malcy

for the bulkhead, look in the engine bay at both rearmost corners, on the drivers side under the brake servo at the edge of the footwell & on the passenger side under the heater unit in a similar place, water runs off the screen drip rail down the bulkhead face & onto the front wing top then through the gap between bonnet edge & wingtop, the water sits on the footwell top skin & rots them through.