Replacing A Frame ball joint ?

Does anybody already changed the A Frame ball joint ?

Is there any special tool to be used - apart of big hammer of course :-)

I had to take the whole A Frame out and even than it took me quite a bit of hammering to get the old one out.

Once done, I realised that to get the new one isn’t going to be any easier – even worse as one does not want to damage a new part.

Any advice on the proper way to do this job?

Ahh ... and what about the bushes of the A frame and radius arms? How they should come off?

To me it looks that the outer bush layer is actually part of the arm ?!

Thanks in advance,

Tomas

last time i did this i also had to take the aframe off and use my imagination to get it out. in the end i drilled the two holes in the A frame out so i could put the two bolts right through so i could get them to pull the joint in.

A014.jpg

i may have to do it all again on mine seen as tho i have just done this tho :blink:

oops005Small.jpg

and..

ooopsie011.jpg

i hope i can just re weld the bracket on tho.

still cant understand why a diff or shaft didnt go..

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I also tried to use the two bolts to pull the new joint in. But I bet the bolts and the joint frame.

At the end I used an old wheel ring outer layer to prevent damages from the hammer – this however upset all my neighbors as the job got much noisier and it took me the whole afternoon. :-(

But where and how to press it?

I guess not on the ball stick it selves.

Is it correct to assume that you used a piece of pipe that in diameter just goes around the center part of the joint and in length covers up the stick?

Thanks,

T.

Muddy,

that happened to me as well. But I didn't knacker the prop. Later axles have a cast bit for the ball joint to go through and are stronger. I think that mine came off as my shocks were (still are!) to long (2"+ shocks). ON extreme articulation I think the joint is binding. I intend to riase the top shock mounts.

Adrian

I hack sawed off the little tabs/arms on the ball joint that the bolts pass through. This means you can then put it in a press and press it out.

Adrian

Thats the same way i did mine.

took about 20 tons though in the press to get it out. (though it looked like it had been in there since new (24 years)

and about 8 to get the new one in

pressed the bushes out at the same time tey took nearly 30 tonns.

Muddy,

that happened to me as well. But I didn't knacker the prop. Later axles have a cast bit for the ball joint to go through and are stronger. I think that mine came off as my shocks were (still are!) to long (2"+ shocks). ON extreme articulation I think the joint is binding. I intend to riase the top shock mounts.

Adrian

Yh i think it was landing on the back axle on full throttle that did it :lol:

what year did they strengthen them as the 90 i was doin that ball joint on was an f reg and i have the axle.

When I did mine on a RRC I put lengths of threaded stud into the holes, put the new ball joint onto the studs & then pulled it into place using nuts & washers on the studs. Once in, removed studs & put the bolts in. Less chance of stripping the threaded holes in the carrier.

But what a b----r to get the old one out :o:o Serious work with a big hammer :D