Tyre size choice question?

Paul64

Hi,

For my second set of tyres I have been looking at the sizes. Can anyone explain in simple terms what is the main differences are between 235/85R16/E and 7.50R16/D. Why would you choose one over the other because as far as I can see there is not a lot of difference in dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul.

7.50 are the old imperial crossply sizes, although just to confuse things you can now get some radial tyres in these sizes. The R in 235 size stands for Radial and not the ofyen misconception of radius. Like Las says there's not a lot of difference between those two sizes except the 235 is a bit wider, and would be my choice of tyres for a 110 unless going taller.

Well you would have a bigger footprint, but tread pattern would be a big factor.

Les.

Would you say the tread pattern on the 235 BFG Goodrich is better than the 7.50.

Thank you Mark for your comments too. I have an offer for some Michelins 7.50 but that will probably be too close to what I already have 7.50 Goodyear Wranglers. So maybe the 235 A/T BFG's would be a better second set?

Cheers,

Paul

So would the difference be slightly more grip with the 235?

For the same given tread pattern, on road yes, off road - well that's a whole other discussion, like oil or grease, but really depends on ground conditions.

But there's not that much difference between those two sizes, 235/85 is the closed radial size to 7.50's.

If you want to go wider but same height then consider 265/75R16 or if you want a bit more height then 255/85R16 is a popular size, but tyre choice is limited in 255/85 size.

I guess it depends what you are wanting from this second set of tyres, road use or off road?

I guess it depends what you are wanting from this second set of tyres, road use or off road?

Well a mixture of both really. That is why I am looking for a good all rounder for the second set. I will use the Goodyear Wranglers for the 1552 mile trip back to the UK for an MOT each year! Some crazy Romanian rule prevents me from re-registering my LR in Romania because of its age and not meeting E2 standard or something like that.

Cheers,

Paul

7.50 = 7 & a half inches across the tread width, 235 = 235mm across the same area also it's 9 & a quarter inches, so much wider than a 7.50, I'd reckon 235's would be fine for the use you want.

Thanks Ralph,

Now that is in simple terms that even I can understand. That makes sense and thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Paul

I think it depends on your usage.

255/85 will effect your gearing - not badly but enough to notice at high altitude/twisty tracks/fully laden. You will achieve slightly more than 15mm more under the diffs form an avergae 235/85 but you will lose lock which is more important than ground clearance.

Bear in mind that 235/85's vary in OD greatly. From about 30.5inches to 32 inches on non re-moulds.

Might I suggest a 235/85x16 Hankook. A 32 inch OD tyre with 8 or 10 layer sidewall, excellent tread pattern in AT and MT, proven to last and suprisingly cheap to buy (enough of a saving to prahaps buy that spare carcass).

Tyres are a complete minefield.

Just to add to the confusion, I would like to point out that the width measurement is across the sidewall, NOT the tread. The measurement may be similar to the tread width on some makes and tread patterns, but not others.

Some 235s actually have very similar tread widths to some 7.50s. The 'extra' 1and3/4 inches is in the sidewall, and you can't rely on the 235 to automatically have the same extra width at the tread. Most 235s are wider than 7.50s at the tread, but most are not 1and3/4 inches wider like the sizing suggests.

It is worth mentioning that 235s are not supposed to be fitted to rim widths narrower than 6 inches. The standard defender/series steel wheel is 5.5 inches, and the max recommended width is 7.50s.

Many owners do use the 235s on standard rims with no problems or issues though.

As pointed out different makes have varying heights too!

I can recommend the Hankooks too. I have a set of RT01 mud terrains in 235 size and have had no problems in about 5 years of mixed use. Tough tyre with no vices on or off road, and reasonably priced. A good allrounder.

Regards,

Diff

Tyres are a complete minefield.

Just to add to the confusion, I would like to point out that the width measurement is across the sidewall, NOT the tread. The measurement may be similar to the tread width on some makes and tread patterns, but not others.

Some 235s actually have very similar tread widths to some 7.50s. The 'extra' 1and3/4 inches is in the sidewall, and you can't rely on the 235 to automatically have the same extra width at the tread. Most 235s are wider than 7.50s at the tread, but most are not 1and3/4 inches wider like the sizing suggests.

It is worth mentioning that 235s are not supposed to be fitted to rim widths narrower than 6 inches. The standard defender/series steel wheel is 5.5 inches, and the max recommended width is 7.50s.

Many owners do use the 235s on standard rims with no problems or issues though.

As pointed out different makes have varying heights too!

I can recommend the Hankooks too. I have a set of RT01 mud terrains in 235 size and have had no problems in about 5 years of mixed use. Tough tyre with no vices on or off road, and reasonably priced. A good allrounder.

Regards,

Diff

That is useful info Diff. Regarding the RIMS, which would you suggest then to gain the extra width?

Cheers,

Paul

That is useful info Diff. Regarding the RIMS, which would suggest then to gain the extra width?

Cheers,

Paul

There are many choices for rims out there, and it depends on your budget, or what you like the look of. A 235 tyre should be fitted on rims between 6 inches and 7 inches wide. You will be hard pressed to find any 6 inch rims in a land rover stud pattern and are not worth looking for. The optimal rim width for a 235 is 6.5 inches, and your most common choices are the 6.5 inch military wolf rim, and the defender 127/130 rim which is also 6.5 inches.

You can get aftermarket 8 spokes in 6.5 inch width but they are not common anymore.

By far the most commonly available replacement rims are 7 inch wide eight spokes or modulars.

All the 6.5 and 7 inch wheels will give your land rover a bit more stability too as the extra width is outboard of the hub.

If you are in the market for new tyres and wheels, many places do tyre and wheel packages which are usually much better value for money than buying the tyres and wheels separately and having them fitted and balanced.

Wolf wheels are probably the strongest (and heaviest) steel wheel option, and very popular - available in both tube type and tubeless, so make sure you get the type you want. Note you can run either tubeless OR with tubes in a tubeless rim, BUT you can only run with tubes in a tube type rim.

New aftermarket wheels of the type discussed are all tubeless as a matter of course.

Also suitable are disco 1 steel wheels which are 7 inch wide and tubeless.

Don't forget that many people do use 235s on standard 5.5 inch rims but it isn't recommended by the tyre manufacturers, and you don't get the benefit of stability that the wider rims might give the vehicle. There may be insurance implications fitting 235s to 5.5 inch rims, I wouldn't like to say.

Regards,

Diff

There are many choices for rims out there, and it depends on your budget, or what you like the look of. A 235 tyre should be fitted on rims between 6 inches and 7 inches wide. You will be hard pressed to find any 6 inch rims in a land rover stud pattern and are not worth looking for. The optimal rim width for a 235 is 6.5 inches, and your most common choices are the 6.5 inch military wolf rim, and the defender 127/130 rim which is also 6.5 inches.

You can get aftermarket 8 spokes in 6.5 inch width but they are not common anymore.

By far the most commonly available replacement rims are 7 inch wide eight spokes or modulars.

All the 6.5 and 7 inch wheels will give your land rover a bit more stability too as the extra width is outboard of the hub.

If you are in the market for new tyres and wheels, many places do tyre and wheel packages which are usually much better value for money than buying the tyres and wheels separately and having them fitted and balanced.

Wolf wheels are probably the strongest (and heaviest) steel wheel option, and very popular - available in both tube type and tubeless, so make sure you get the type you want. Note you can run either tubeless OR with tubes in a tubeless rim, BUT you can only run with tubes in a tube type rim.

New aftermarket wheels of the type discussed are all tubeless as a matter of course.

Also suitable are disco 1 steel wheels which are 7 inch wide and tubeless.

Don't forget that many people do use 235s on standard 5.5 inch rims but it isn't recommended by the tyre manufacturers, and you don't get the benefit of stability that the wider rims might give the vehicle. There may be insurance implications fitting 235s to 5.5 inch rims, I wouldn't like to say.

Regards,

Diff

Thanks Diff for all that information, it is really interesting. When I come over to the UK next time I will look out for a decent wheel/tyre package. Can you recommend any specific company that are good on these packages. The Hankooks as you say look like a good choice.

Cheers,

Paul

Plenty of different deals/packages from many suppliers. As Tony said, have a look in the Landrover mags for adverts.

I tend to fit my own tyres, so can't comment specifically on which companies might be better than others for wheel and tyre packages.

My Hankooks came from Nene 5 years ago and they were fine to deal with.

Regards,

Diff