How to replace the throttle spindle seal on a Tdi Injection pump

simonb

• 6 months later...

Really good post, thanks very much - It made it into a really easy job.

Ive just replaced the seal on mine - it started dripping after I fitted a new lift pump,  and here are just a couple of things maybe worth adding.

I used a ball ended allen key and got all 4 screws undone easily without disturbing the idle or max speed screws. The one behind the idle screw wont come out, but it comes off with the cover and theres no need to remove it.

I drilled and tapped a bit of 8mm rod and screwed it on the end of the spindle and used this to push the spindle out and pull it back in, it makes it easy to get the spindle phased correctly too.

I measured the old bush and it was exactly the same I/D as the new one in the kit so was no point replacing it.  My ebay sourced kit didnt include the spindle, mine was worn about 0.1mm or so and could do with replacing really, but the old O ring had a huge flat worn on the inside, so I thought just replacing that would fix the leak - and it has.  

Thanks again.

Edited by Andrew T
typo

• 4 years later...

Excellent write up, 16 years later and it's has become very helpful, I've got a leaking throttle spindle on my 200tdi and I've been told it's a very difficult job, doesn't look too bad, changed and rebuilt engines so how hard can this be 🙈🤣, again I'm going to be saving this for when the parts turn up.

I used this guide and managed to change the seal myself. A job i wasn't looking forward to but I managed and also got it it all set correctly as well. I did it with the pump on the bench as much easier access etc. 

Strange how things go.... I've got a truck with a bosch EP/VA pump that's started leaking from the shaft... I know they're not the same pump, but I bet they are really really similar... reading this made my mind up - I've just ordered the seal kit . Thanks Simon and others for reminding me that diy is the best route (usually!)