Isuzu 3.9 4bd1-T conversion

Velar

Hello,

Soon I'll start with my Isuzu 3.9T (4bd1-t) conversion in an LHD Land Rover 130. I machined the torqueconverter housing so it fits over the flyweel. It seems that the LT95 will fit but I wanted an automatic.

According the previous owner, the engine is balanced so I hope this will work with the 4hp22 gearbox.

Has anyone picutres of installed engines in Land Rovers? Tips wanted!! :D

The 4BD1-T puts out a lot of torque from idle, and the impulsive nature of a big, long stroke, 4 cylinder diesel at low speeds is hard on transmissions. Other people have tried the ZF 4hp22 auto and they don't live very long.

The 4BD1 was a factory option in 110's in Australia. Arguably the best engine ever factory fitted to a rover before the td8. The Aus army still use them, but they have the LT95 with taper roller bearing transfer case conversion. The civilian versions could be had with either the LT95 or LT85. Maxi-drive convert the bearings in the LT85, to get them to survive longer.

Here is a link to an auto conversion you might like to consider.

The stock oil filters need to be relocated to clear the front driveshaft. The stock 24 volt starter will foul the left hand chassis rail. The 12 volt starters used on the Aus 110's don't foul. If you convert from 24V to 12V, you will need to find a vacuum pump, as the vacuum pump is driven by the alternator (but there are several solutions).

The sump is modified on the 4BD1's fitted to Aus 110's. The rear of the sump is enlarged by an extension at the left rear. I'm guessing at the reason - possibly for more oil capacity, or for steep climbs, or both.

Here are some pics.

post-62-1182765056_thumb.jpg

post-62-1182765272_thumb.jpg

post-62-1182765302_thumb.jpg

The 4BD1-T puts out a lot of torque from idle, and the impulsive nature of a big, long stroke, 4 cylinder diesel at low speeds is hard on transmissions. Other people have tried the ZF 4hp22 auto and they don't live very long.

The 4BD1 was a factory option in 110's in Australia. Arguably the best engine ever factory fitted to a rover before the td8. The Aus army still use them, but they have the LT95 with taper roller bearing transfer case conversion. The civilian versions could be had with either the LT95 or LT85. Maxi-drive convert the bearings in the LT85, to get them to survive longer.

Here is a link to an auto conversion you might like to consider.

The stock oil filters need to be relocated to clear the front driveshaft. The stock 24 volt starter will foul the left hand chassis rail. The 12 volt starters used on the Aus 110's don't foul. If you convert from 24V to 12V, you will need to find a vacuum pump, as the vacuum pump is driven by the alternator (but there are several solutions).

The sump is modified on the 4BD1's fitted to Aus 110's. The rear of the sump is enlarged by an extension at the left rear. I'm guessing at the reason - possibly for more oil capacity, or for steep climbs, or both.

Here are some pics.

smaller isuzu's from troopers/bighorns are a good source for alternators with vac pump. 4jb1 or 4jg2, the 2.8's or 3.1's. you'll probably have to bodge the mount though. i think a kit may have been offered in the uk at some stage for the 4bd1, but i dont know who by, maybe someone here will. a few rangies have gone through ebay with this engine, which makes me think that a kit exsted. i could be wrong though. andy at www.engineconversions.co.uk might be one to ask. he took over from milner conversions if i recall correctly.