Should battery lamp glow faintly?

Gringo

I just drove the "new" Defender after dark for the first time last night, and got to acquaint myself with the lighting. One thing that puzzles me, the battery lamp indicator on the instrument panel glows a very dull red, all the time. Its almost undetectable in daylight, but definitely glowing. I turned off the other lights entirely, thinking it might be some glow "seepage" from an instrument lamp nearby, but no....it glows constantly whether the other lamps are on or not.

Does anyone know what, if anything, that this might indicate? I did not get the operations manual with this vehicle, and have not had time to order one yet online.

Thanks you for any help or suggestions.

Ah, somebody else with a proper engine in a new LR :)

We have seen a few here, its usually the alternator, being under warranty it just gets changed for a new one but I expect detailed investigation would show the regulator to be the culprit. I guess if it is an 05 then yours is still under warranty too? There is a faint possibility of a chafe in the wiring but the alt is most likely - check the charging voltage for starters, should be 14.2 to 14.4.

Thanks, BogMonster. Yes, its still under warranty. SO, I can get her running, put a voltmeter across the 12vdc battery, and should see something over 14 volts with no load?

Yes it should be over 14V with no load. If it is, then there is another problem maybe earthing/harness chafe, but as it is under warranty I should make it somebody else's problem :)

Yes, I can certainly do that, but my experience here is that if I can at all isolate the problem it gets fixed a lot quicker. These are good people, some of the best, but to be honest, in most things....they are what we from the Industrialized world would consider somewhat incompetent.

I have already contacted the dealer, and while he is forwarding it to his service manager, I will put a meter on it myself. I will most likely know the solution before he even reads it.

Now this is going to seem like a stupid question, but I dont have access to the Defender at the moment. Wife is out running errands.

But, are the nuts and bolts metric ? I have sets of both SAE and metric wrenches and sockets...but am not sure which you Europeans are using in the UK...I seem to remember another standard, as well....Wentworth I think?

Most fixings are metric but there are still some UNF ones here and there - propshaft bolts are 9/16" UNF for example. I doubt there are any Whitworth fittings on a current model Defender but I might be wrong!

In fairness I think you could say most workshops will fix a problem quicker if some pointers are given along the lines of "it does this when you do X, it does that when you do Y and it does something else when you do Z". The worst thing in the world is some dolt turning up with a really helpful diagnosis like "the rover is broken" ... "what's wrong sir" ... "dunno I don't drive it they just said take it to the garage and get it fixed..." but full credit to you for trying, it makes life so much easier if people have noted what the symptoms are under what conditions :)

The only other observation I would make is that the LED dash lights on newer model vehicles are very sensitive to wiring faults even down to dampness etc - it doesn't take much current to drive a LED compared to a conventional bulb so you can find that things like that are sometimes over-sensitive. Thinking about it I seem to remember we had one in a year or so back that needed a new instrument pack to cure a similar problem, you can't change the bulb, you have to change the whole block of lights as the LED lights are surface mounted onto a PCB. If the alternator seems OK it might be worth swapping the whole speedo binnacle out of another vehicle, it only takes 10 minutes to do and would tell you if that is the problem or not, its a quick and easy thing to rule out the instrument pack - six screws and about the same number of multi plugs to disconnect and you can have it out in no time.

Hi Gringo, the nuts n bolts should all be metric, with the charge light what BM said should be the case..voltage reg. not working. When you put the meter on it rev it a little & you should see volts rise above 14.4/14.5v.

HTH

cheers

Steveb

But, are the nuts and bolts metric ? I have sets of both SAE and metric wrenches and sockets...but am not sure which you Europeans are using in the UK...I seem to remember another standard, as well....Wentworth I think?

Most are metric apart from the odd one like the propshaft which is Imperial. On an 05 you also find quite a few are the Torx type too.

Cheers

Steve