4 or 6 bolt P.A.S. Box?

Steve 90

Just about to re con and drill and tap extra ports on a steering box for my Hydro assist steering on the 90. I have two box's, one is a 6 bolt of an 1988 L/R 90 and the other 4 bolt off a 1995 discovery. Which one should I use? Is there any difference strength and reliability wise? or does it not make a lot of difference?

Thanks.

Steve.

^^^^^^Wot he said^^^^^^^^^^^

The 'Urban Legend' is on the 4 bolt being the strongest but I never seen it proven. SW Power steering don't get any more or any less - never have had.

I intended changing the 6 bolt on the 100" but as it's a Taxi Cab recon version from SWPS it does lock to lock in two thirds of the turns and it works.

I think it's much of a muchness - bit like saying there's no such thing as goblins just becuase you haven't seen one and neither have your mates

An urban legend or urban myth is similar to a modern folklore consisting of stories often thought to be factual by those circulating them. The term is often used to mean something akin to "apocryphal story". Urban legends are not necessarily untrue, but they are often distorted, exaggerated, or sensationalized. Despite the name, a typical urban legend does not necessarily originate in an urban setting. The term is designed to differentiate them from traditional folklore in preindustrial times.

Just to be bloody minded I was under the impression the Disco 2 box was strongest because the sector shaft doesn't have an undercut in it :ph34r:

But then that has a different chassis mounting too so probably no use unless you want to get the grinder out.

Hmmm

Is that why you think the sky is green and grass is blue and have been known to argue the point ?

Nige :hysterical:

:rolleyes: me? :lol:

I only argue that maybe the sky is many shades of blue, white, grey and purple; with orange, yellow and red; and that the grass can be almost emerald/blue varying through to a yellowing wee colour. Most of all I argue that it's worth standing back and looking at the variation, enjoying it all and never thinking that because you have seen one beautiful day that all beautiful days are the same; or that there is no beauty in a grey, colourless day. I call it free thought, others call it thinking out of the box and those with no soul, imagination or experience dismiss it. :lol:

paul, would it therefore be fair to say, that in you experience, they're all carp?

Anything Land Rover is verging on carp! On a standard or slightly modified vehicle OE parts are good

but once you start to push things they are not up to it. You get to the point where you either look for an

alternative or modify the origional.

In the case of steering boxes I reckon the 4 bolt box with ram assist is the best for the money.