delivery of stuff coming from America

pugwash

Thinking of importing a load of amsteel Blue form rockstomper- current exchange rates give a rate of aroud £1/ft for 13mm and around 90p/ft for 12.5mm

no hooks and unrigged so someone would need to volunteer to rig it and source hooks.

anyone interested?

Decent hooks from OEC are about £10ish each an thimble a couple of ££

I could happily rig local to us Jim/me any that are req.

a spare rope is always worth having.

Plasma12 attracts a discount via this site from ruftracks

and I'd like to spend the ££ in this country if at all possible.

maybe a bulk buy discount may be had from Andy?

there would be shipping and duty to add, although shipping should be quite low as it will come in with another order (which reduces the cost)

i will want the big stuff for my winch but i could bring in 2 sizes.

from the little reasearch i have done, plasma12 and Amsteel are both made by honeywell from Spectron fibres and are trade names for the manufacturing process used to turn the spectron fibre into rope. Amsteel Blue seems to have a very good rep on places like pirate, although i don't know anyone who has used in the UK (there must be people who do but i haven't come across them yet). I am personally happy that this stuff is as good as Plasma 12 but i'm not doing this commercially so it's your own personal choice if you want to buy it or not.

EDITED to say:

Good point- i'll bang off an email to Andy now and see what he can do.

if there is anything else that anyone wants bought in from the states in the same shipment then i would be happy to bing some more stuff in as long as you aer happy to pay yuor portion of shipping/duty.

Mo,

When I bought my Bowrope I was told that the 8274 drum should take 125' (38m) of 12mm... you end up with a very full drum if you do though, so I would be inclined to go for 100' and an extension...

Mark

I have Amsteel Blue from Rockstomper on the rear and did have it on the front.

Lasted ages on the front but I threw it away at Bampton and fitted Plasma12 as I'd broken it 3 times by then.

the rear is as good as the day I got it.

9.5-10mm fitted to both winches

just struggling with prices at th moment guys- rockstompers initial quote was too low and they ahve since upped it.

The amsteel Blue i can source in the UK for around £1.70/ft at the moment- although that's in any colour we fancy.

Does this sort of price still interest people?

the specs of the rope are 12.7mm with a breaknig strain of 15,400kg which is somewhere between 12mm and 14mm of Andy Ts stuff. That would put tha aproximate price at £2.35 bought in the UK

"if there is anything else that anyone wants bought in from the states in the same shipment then i would be happy to bing some more stuff in as long as you aer happy to pay yuor portion of shipping/duty."

That statement covers me, but I don't know how far to push your tolerance.

Let's be a little more specific, there are two tool items I want from Habour Freight, and one 'bling' item from Britelyt.

Both of them will import into the UK, but the shipping charges make it uneconomic.

If they were ordered to an address in the USA, then shipped as a miscellaneous mixture, probably via slow transport rather than a high-speed high-cost option (all that these vendors offer), then the shipping charges would be severly reduced.

I'm not looking to evade Customs and VAT, which is a lottery anyway, although ISTR that VAT is payable on Shipping charges, then Customs on the total (Goods + Shipping + VAT). I'm certain at some stage you pay tax on tax. If the Shipping is reduced then the taxation charges are reduced.

After that we just have to 'worry' about transport from Taunton to Derbyshire, but as I've family in your neck of the woods, and more family half way between, that is probably a problem I can solve within the family.

Anyway, were you going to buy to a US address, then ship privately? Otherwise I don't see the benefit.

And by 'anything else' did you mean from other suppliers, or just from Rockstompers?

Cheers, and sorry for the headache :-)

just struggling with prices at th moment guys- rockstompers initial quote was too low and they ahve since upped it.

The amsteel Blue i can source in the UK for around £1.70/ft at the moment- although that's in any colour we fancy.

Does this sort of price still interest people?

the specs of the rope are 12.7mm with a breaknig strain of 15,400kg which is somewhere between 12mm and 14mm of Andy Ts stuff. That would put tha aproximate price at £2.35 bought in the UK

Sounds like they twigged the exchange rate. Not quite such a bargain now, I'll pass thanks Jim.

Mo

update- i've found a price of £1.42 for 12mm, so it's coming down- i'm going to try and get to £1/ft which is what i was originally quoted.

as to importing. I have used (and continue to use) a shipping broker www.moving-parts.co.uk (speak to steve). He has been absolutely excellent.

so far i have bought in a transit full (and i do mean full) of kit, such as a crate V8, a crate full of yank auto, a couple of seats etc etc

process is this:

1. Order items and pay for them

2. Get them shipped to a warehouse organised by the shipping agent- land shipping in US is usually free. you will need to include an invoice as well as the shipping reference.

3. whole order is collected together

4. order is shipped by air/sea by my choice

5. items arrive in UK

6. Items clear customs

7. items passed to warehouse store for pickup or delivery. pickup is of course cheaper.

costs are based on:

Shipping- which are really really reasonably surprisinglly- which has a fixed processing cost- so a bigger order gets a better shipping rate

duty- based on a % of the value- however the duty is based on the HMCE code and can be from 3% upwards

VAT- 17.5% on the value of the goods and the cost of shipping.

i have a couple of boxes for the business, as well as some smaller car items (such as LED lights and the like) to ship and they will be coming over in around 2-3 weeks.

HTH

I would be interested in bare hydraulic milemarker winches if you can get them for a good price- i just cannot get any sort of answer from Alfred Murray- i have now left 5 messages for him over 2 months!