Megajolt

mrcheese

Hello,

I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I am thinking of using Megajolt on an EDIS set up. The dizzy is the weak link when it comes to water!

I have a 3.5efi and the flapper AFM. Has anyone done the same? Looking at it, I will need a signal to drive pin one of the ECU (RPM). Will the tacho out on Megajolt do the job? Anything else I should know on the set up?

Regards,

Paul.

Hello,

I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place. I am thinking of using Megajolt on an EDIS set up. The dizzy is the weak link when it comes to water!

I have a 3.5efi and the flapper AFM. Has anyone done the same? Looking at it, I will need a signal to drive pin one of the ECU (RPM). Will the tacho out on Megajolt do the job? Anything else I should know on the set up?

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul

If you wait patiently Nige will be along and he has a bit of experience :)

In the mean time have a look here

Marc

Hiya,

1st I am not the man to ask re ANYTHING electrical

I am to PCBs Electrics and crimping connections what the Incredible Hulk is to watch repairing

What Fridge BBC and Jon White between them know means you'll not have a huge prob,

with therse guys help I did mine, ....I leant a huge amount but frankly count me out unless you want an electrical fire :lol:

The post was as much a thankyou as a "How to", but it was from help from this forum I got there,

without it I doubt I would have, and hence why having been so impressed I am now going Full Squirt to get rid (oh I pray) of the misfire.

There is a whizzy tricky thing you'll need to do to get the ECU to fire from the Edis, but a grown up will be along to explain, it involves solder and a 3p thingumyelectricaldodahbit and then it fires :)

Nige

Yes, wot Nige said, you need some diodes to make the ECU trigger correctly from multiple coils rather than a single coil.

Having said that, I would (you'll be surprised to hear) say it's worth ditching the flapper ECU too and just fitting a full MegaSquirt.

BTW I have some EDIS-8 units for sale at the moment if you need one ;)

Yes, you will need to use diode sniffers from the coil packs as the 14CU pin 1 input requires a fast spike of several hundred volts …………the existing in line resistor is there to ensure that low voltage spikes do not cause false triggering. However, the internal circuit of the ECU has an RC pulse shaper that is designed to only output from a high level spike.

:)

Ian

Not a high pass filter as such .................... its just using the RC time constant to shape up the pulse so that the chips can understand whats going on ................ remember, these chip are 20 year old technology :rolleyes: ............... you could probably walk faster than any pulse they are likely to see......... :lol:

Looking at the circuit I would have assumed that the rising edge was too fast for the chips in those early days so Mr Lucarse reverted to good old discreet technology to solve the problem.....................

:)

Ian