Stupid questions

Hi there,

Although I drove a few LR in the past, I always wondered about many little questions that any off-raoder should know. :unsure: So, I take the opportunty of this great forum to get your answers and points of view.

For clarity and ease of use, I'll use a post for each question. If any one want to post other, well, stupid questions, please do: I'll feel less lonely! :)

Thank you in advance!

:i-m_so_happy:

Exhaust in the water:

Some people make a snorkel for their exhaust pipe, most don't. :ph34r:

As long as your engine is going, I figure the pulsed air prevents water to go into the pipe and damage it.

But what is happening if the engine stals? What is the proper thing to do? :huh:

The Defender is notoriously old. The profile of the car remained the same for decades and the car itself is not that different form one version to another.

Is there a way to know which spare part of a New '07 can be swaped with a part of an older model?

In other words, say, if I break my back window, can I go to a local mechanic and buy the back window of the 25y.o. Def rusting in the back yard? Well, I know I can buy it, what I want to know is: Will it fit? ;)

Are there some parts that are known to be universal among Defenders? :glare:

I sometimes seems 4x4 with small cables attached from the top corners of the wind shield to the sides of the bumper (you see what I mean?).

What is it for? :o

Difficult to imagine what you mean exactly, but can't that be a antenna from a CB radio installed on the front bumper and attached to the top windshield corner so it does not travel around extensively?

I have such an antenna on the roof and it hits any lower branch hanging above the road. Also no way to fit any parking house any more. Actually I considering moving it to the side of the front bumper now.

And now the real stupid question: Difflock

Ok, well, I actually use and know the system of a difflock: to give all the wheels maximum power in difficult situations.

What I don't get is when you don't use the difflock. An differential is needed to turn, that I get. :rolleyes:

What I don't get is that a wheel in the air is not spinning... I though I was driving a "4 wheel drive"? :huh:

Pedantic I know but you won't find a 25-year old Defender.

The 110 was introduced first (1984 if I recall correctly) and the 90 a year later, the Defender name was attached to the vehicle when they introduced the TDi, this was at a time when the LR range was expanding and they wanted to give the vehicle a 'proper' identity. In answer to your question though, yes many parts can be fitted form earlier vehicles and even some parts from Series vehicles will fit.

What I don't get is that a wheel in the air is not spinning... I though I was driving a "4 wheel drive"?

The LR only has a locking center diff which locks the front & rear propshafts together, both the axle diffs are still open and will allow drive through the path of least resistance. With this set-up (even with the centre-diff locked) at any time you are only getting drive to one wheel per axle.

LR have never fitted locking axle diffs to a production vehicle but there are several suppliers of limited-slip & locking diffs if you want to go down that route. The latest vehicles use the ABS system to apply the brakes on the spinning wheel which forces drive through the wheel that is in contact with the ground. This is a modern twist to an old trick when fiddle brakes are fitted (mainly found on comp vehicles), if you can see which wheel is spining you adjust the brake bias, apply the brakes and manually lock the spinning wheel allowing the vehicle to obtain traction.

For parts that will fit the easy way to find out is to look at one of the parts websites like Paddocks or Craddocks as the description of most parts will indicate models / years the part will fit, the big white parts book is a good investment as it allows you to find the part# for every part on the vehicle, which will usually mean you can then look it up on Craddocks website or using the land rover EPC. A lot of old part numbers are now shown as superseded (replaced) with newer ones from other vehicles, sometimes these are also superseded to something else (I think my clutch pipe had 3 or 4 different part numbers :blink: )

There's a lot that stays the same from one vehicle/year to the next but a surprising number of seemingly insignificant bits that are changed for no apparent reason, often you can put a new older-style part in their place for a lot less money.

The wires going up from the bonnet to the roof / roll cage are "bush wires" or "brush wires" and stop bits of scenery from hitting the windscreen.

Alpine windows (the ones in the roof) are so called because you can look out of them at the tops of the mountains as you drive past.

An exhaust under water is OK when the engine is running, if it stops water can siphon back up into the cylinder if the water is deeper than the top of the manifold/valve although it can also find it's way in through other means such as dipstick, poorly sealed airboxes, oil filler, any leaking seals, etc.

Pedantic I know but you won't find a 25-year old Defender.

The 110 was introduced first (1984 if I recall correctly) and the 90 a year later, the Defender name was attached to the vehicle when they introduced the TDi, this was at a time when the LR range was expanding and they wanted to give the vehicle a 'proper' identity. In answer to your question though, yes many parts can be fitted form earlier vehicles and even some parts from Series vehicles will fit.

:blush: Sorry, I meant a 25 y.o. Series...

Alpine windows: Why such name?

Do you actually know what they are for?

After all, it is unusual, isn't it? :blink:

Well I would hazzard a guess that theoretically there are there primarilly to view the snow clad peaks of mountains when traveresing the alps!!! I think that they actually were 'borrowed' from the early VW split screen micro bus of the mid 50's onwards, these busses were very popular alpine taxis taking skiers up to the mountain ski lodges, and they introduced the 21 window and the ever so desirable 23 window Samba buses that had a row of alpine lights along the roof line on each side. Glad to be of service, stumpy

I don't want to shower the happy atmosphere of that cool forum (thanks for the answers that arrived already!) but I found a really weird service: http://www.4x4funerals.co.uk/ :wacko:

They took the 130 hearse up the twist-off ramp at Gaydon in 2005 (or was it 2006) it didn't do very well but then who can blame them for being a bit careful :lol:

As for proof of the Disco & RR having locking rear diffs, why not look at the spec sheets:

Disco 3 - it's optional on all models

Range Rover - standard on the Supercharged

RR Sport - optional on all models

The LR only has a locking center diff which locks the front & rear propshafts together, both the axle diffs are still open and will allow drive through the path of least resistance. With this set-up (even with the centre-diff locked) at any time you are only getting drive to one wheel per axle.

That's precisely what I don't get. ;)

The thread is about stupid questions, so, sorry for insisting. Can you explain me why a wheel in the air does not really get power?

Oops, I forgot one of the questions I wanted to ask in the first place :blush: : Is there really any difference between standard wheels and alloy ones?

Besides the prices tag and the look, is there really any benefit in getting such wheels on a Def? :unsure:

With open diffs a wheel in the air gets all the power, that's why the car stops going forwards unless you can lock the diff so that the other wheels (the ones touching the ground) get the power too. Otherwise it takes the path of least resistance and spins the wheel that's free to spin in the air.

Alloy wheels Vs steel wheels is a tricky one, in racing alloys are lighter and IIRC they dissipate heat better so that's a benefit, however in off-road terms I'm not sure there's a great advantage to be had - I have seen alloys with chunks taken out of them by impacts which renders them useless whereas a steel wheel would bend but you can beat it back to shape and carry on.

Oops, I forgot one of the questions I wanted to ask in the first place :blush: : Is there really any difference between standard wheels and alloy ones?

Besides the prices tag and the look, is there really any benefit in getting such wheels on a Def? :unsure:

diff bassically allows the wheels to move a different speeds so that u are dragging the wheel around the corner if u jack up one side of the car of the ground and put in first the wheels will spin anf th other wont move at all hence the saying give power to the least resistance , the transfer box is mainly only used for high and low ratio with the locking option

so if u lock the diff u are giving equal and constant power to both wheels helps if u have one wheel of the ground trying to get traction , ie if u had no diff lock and had the front left anf rear right wheel of the ground u aint going no where but with diff lock u can have the wheels on the ground in the same situation driving