td5 intercooler to a tdi

Seen a few done but to be honest, with the length of pipes that have to run behind the radiator - is it worth it? Would be better off bonnet mounted or at least sat above the turbo.

We did fit a pair of electric fans behind a TD5 radiator, not much difference but did give the same effect in the cab as it would if you had aircon running????

thats what i was thinking, but i suppose you could change one end of the td5 intercooler so it connected say downwards then run pipe across the front.

Does anyone know the air cooling rates for

std tdi

'improved flow tdi'

td5 std

or know where you can get them?

i came to the conclusion Brunel were the way fwd when i last looked into this so thats an option but looking for a cheap ££££ as now have a spare td5 and tdi intercooler to play with.

could a rad repairers change the ends on an intercooler?

So you've got a Td5 intercooler lying around. Why not sell that and the Tdi unit and use the money towards a new Brunel unit?

I've just ordered my new intercooler from Jon at Brunel. He''l be fitting it at Billing, so I'll report back afterwards.

I'd imagine a rad repairer would do the ends on an intercooler. Or a decent metal fabricator.

Mount it on its side so that the inlet and outlet are in the right place for a tdi?

Use a saab cooler and suffer the longer pipes?

Lewis :)

I think you will probably need to extend the bonnet upwards if you mount a Td5 intercooler on its side :)

Longer pipes don't seem to cause any problems if done wisely. I have put a 200Tdi from a Disco into my 110 and the donor had a big intercooler of unknown origin. It is of full width and with a pipe in each upper corner.

I have run a pipe from the turbo (which sits on the LH side) to the RH side i/c inlet and have taken the shorter route into the intake manifold. After a run, the pipe from the turbo is a bit hot. I can touch it by hand so maybe 50-60°C, while the pipe into the engine is stone cold. In order to have the turbocharger a chance to do what it's supposed to, I've also connected the wastegate hose to a nipple in the intake instead of directly after the turbo outlet.

I though about moving the rad to the middle and putiing the td% cooler acros infornt, but like you say the pipes are longer

i was going to fit it towards the top of the rad so the pipe could be nearer the air intake on the block though

stainless pipe and silicone hose should be ok instead of the rubber stuf :blink:

Just had a look at the setup and as Michael says it doesn't seem that hard to remove the tdi intercooler, then move the rad to the centre to allow the td5 intercooler to sit across the front of the rad (at the top) the inlet pipe then lines up almost perfectly, just needs an extension to connect to the existing top intercooler pipe. On the other side, i reckon you could use another top metal 200tdi def pipe, but laid horizontally to join up to the existing outlet pipework. expect i would need to move my rad back a fraction as well due to the winch etc.

But is any of it worth it? Does anyone know the difference in air temp between inlet and outlet on td5 and tdi intercoolers? No point doing it if there is little/no gain.

Mo,

yep i reckon there is more than enough slack in the oil cooler pipes to move it the required 2" across, plus enough flex in coolant pipes which can be shortened a little as well.