Kenlowe PreHeaters for TD4

TopMarque

I am considering fitting a Kenlowe PreHeater to my TD4 and would be interested if anyone can provide me with some of their personal experience/knolwedge before I make my final decision to part with @£300!

Are they a good investment for the Winter? My TD is parked on the drive all the year round and gets used every day.

Are they straightforward to fit or would you advise professional fitment?

Is there a better alternative? I have looked at the Webasto units (which I think is also the LR Accessory) on the net and they are expensive.

Thankyou in anticipation of your feedback.

TM

I added a Webasto to my TDi Discovery, best mod I have made. Relatively easy to fit. I had a Kenlowe hotstart to fit but decided against it as I could only use it at home (or within reach of a 240V supply) so it would be no use when leaving work on a dark cold winter evening.

Neil

some (most?) of the td4 already have an additional FBH fitted to them (Websato) these come on when its partcularly cold, you used to be able to buy the Webasto interface for it to allow it to be programmed to come on on demand, i would make sure yours doesnt already have one.

i think it used to be mounted front n/s bumper, tell tales are it will have a small exhasut, air intake plus plumbing into the coolant pipes normally by the heater matrix.

in the UK they seldom come on as i think it needs to be -5deg C or similar.

some (most?) of the td4 already have an additional FBH fitted to them (Websato) these come on when its partcularly cold, you used to be able to buy the Webasto interface for it to allow it to be programmed to come on on demand, i would make sure yours doesnt already have one.

i think it used to be mounted front n/s bumper, tell tales are it will have a small exhasut, air intake plus plumbing into the coolant pipes normally by the heater matrix.

in the UK they seldom come on as i think it needs to be -5deg C or similar.

correct - except that the activation temp is below +5, at least it was on mine. Little exhaust sticking out the LH side of the front bumper is the giveaway.

Guest WALFY

SWMBO has the heater thing on her TD4. Comes on just after you start on a cold morning, colder than 5 deg. Sounds fairly loud when left idling but you don't notice it when it's running. Warms up the engine/interior really quick. Shuts off as soon as you turn the engine off. You just hear it "wind down" for a few seconds afterwards.

Also as a side note, if you have this fitted you can't have the bumper mounted fog/driving lights.

• 5 weeks later...

Not so sure about that as we had the Td4 SE which had both the spot lights and the heater.

Tended to come on a lot in the mornings, but could not get a definitive answer on when it was supposed to come on so couldn't argue the issue at the time.