You can run fairly wide tyres on narrow rims without too many issues

Example: Andrews 102" runs 12.50's on 7" disco steel rims

Another Example:

cage4.jpg

DD's G running 10.50 Simex on 5.5" rims

Lewis :)

You can run fairly wide tyres on narrow rims without too many issues

Example: Andrews 102" runs 12.50's on 7" disco steel rims

Apart from the tyre carcass splitting around the middle :)

I have seen this on loads of BFG 265/75R16 fitted to 5.5in steel rims. I wouldn't run 12.50s on 7" rims for that reason, at least not on road at high speed. Second set of tyres for off road use would be fine I expect but it forces the tyre carcass out of its intended shape and causes a circumferential split which goes right the way round the carcass. I used to have a photo of one somewhere but I can't find it :(

At 10psi on an offroad only vehicle I'm not concerned :)

No but I am just saying that it shouldn't be taken as being OK to do on a road vehicle ;)

Helpfully I found the photos I had which were on the PC at work, this is what happens when you run wide tyres on narrow rims on the road:

post-33-1183033280_thumb.jpg

these were about half worn BFG MT's, 265/75R16 on 5.5" Defender steels - doesn't take much imagination to visualise that this would have resulted in a hell of a bang and a two-piece tyre before too much longer :)

Generally but not always, by running very wide tyres on narrow rims you get too much tyre wall bulge on the outside of the rim, thus making them very prone to serious sidewall damage............

:)

Ian

and popping off the rim as the bead is not seated properly

Generally but not always, by running very wide tyres on narrow rims you get too much tyre wall bulge on the outside of the rim, thus making them very prone to serious sidewall damage............

:)

Ian

Thanks for your concerns but that has not been a problem thus far

and popping off the rim as the bead is not seated properly

Bead being not seated properly is due to poor/incorrect fitting on the part of the tyre fitter

That's what my local tyre guy told me when I asked him to put my 9.00x16's on Disco steels (7") although I think he was being over-dramatic as they seem to fit fine - he told me Petlas were military tyres and would cause the Disco rims to explode and kill me <_<

Needless to say I took them up the road to Protyre who, despite seeming a tad chavvy, were more than happy to fit them, and even grind out the valve holes to take tube valves.