EDIS connectors

The Mallory HT leads I've got on the range rover are all over length as when I ordered them I didn't know where the coil packs would be mounted. They're also fitted with the wrong plugs at the coil pack ends (ordered to fit coil packs but didn't realise they were wrong until months later - didn't realise there was a special fitting).

I'm planning on tidying them up and fitting the correct plugs at the same time - anyone know where I can get the plugs? Don't suppose the ones on Ford leads from the scrappy would be reusable would they?

Yes they are

Basically

Get Old leads

Drench in wd 40 esp under the cap, then shove small blunted scredriver up and cap prises off.

Then using a very small screwdriver prise open the conector.

This then all goes back together using crimps etc, you have to be brutal, but they do come apart !

Nige

Wot Nige said - I didn't do the WD40 thing, just used BFI and only broke one end (first try), but given that you can grab a slack handful from the scrappy for a few quid it's not an issue.

BTW did you know that halfrauds sell adaptors to stick normal HT leads onto the coil packs - it's what Rog is using and given his wading efforts they must work OK!

Brand new Ford leads are only £12 per set of 4…………and the coil pack connectors are designed to accept 8mm leads …….. like wot Nige said……… and dribble of WD40 and a little push on the cable will soon have them apart. Do not be tempted to pull on a right angle brass insert ……… it WILL snap. ;)

:)

Ian

Brand new Ford leads are only £12 per set of 4…………and the coil pack connectors are designed to accept 8mm leads …….. like wot Nige said……… and dribble of WD40 and a little push on the cable will soon have them apart. Do not be tempted to pull on a right angle brass insert ……… it WILL snap. ;)

:)

Ian

At that price I'm not messing with scrapyard ones :)

Thanks all.

You can buy the "ford type" connectors brand new from halfords in the autosparks range. IIRC £6 for qty 4

They are designed to allow you to make any lead from the stock leads they sell, they work perfectly underwater too!

Damm, just read the post fully - fridge has already mentioned it - bed time me thinks!

Edited by istruggle2gate11

You can buy the "ford type" connectors brand new from halfords in the autosparks range. IIRC £6 for qty 4

They are designed to allow you to make any lead from the stock leads they sell, they work perfectly underwater too!

Damm, just read the post fully - fridge has already mentioned it - bed time me thinks!

Do they fit properly on a 'naked' lead then? My reading of Fridge's post was that you plug a standard dizzy type connector into them. You can get away with just plugging them straight into the coil packs - that's what I've been running for the last year or so with no problems - but I want to tidy up a bit so adapter kind of defeat the object!

They're not as nice as the genuine ford connectors however IMHO. They dont fit onto the coil packs as well.

I simply used scrap yard leads and eased the crimps open with a small screwdriver and then re-crimped them onto a set of V8 leads.

Jon

Well, I stopped by Halfrauds on the way home tonight. Aside from being a bit on the pricey side (over twenty pounds for any lead set with EDIS connectors) their HT leads have plugs which are moulded on, don't look like they'd be reusable. The adapters looked fine though, so I've bought a couple of packs (£10 for four, so a bit pricey than Rog remembered).

Well, I stopped by Halfrauds on the way home tonight. Aside from being a bit on the pricey side (over twenty pounds for any lead set with EDIS connectors) their HT leads have plugs which are moulded on, don't look like they'd be reusable. The adapters looked fine though, so I've bought a couple of packs (£10 for four, so a bit pricey than Rog remembered).

Erm, might have been on a mates trade card = sorry

I certainly have no issue with quality, they are a very good, tight fit on the coil.