P38 Air con book symbol

chrisst2

Hi , I have a book symbol appear on the air con usually after about 20-30 minutes of driving , if I switch the air con off the symbol dissapears but comes on again when i switch the air con on again ( usually after about 20 mins )I have looked through the various forums to see what the problem could be and have checked that all flaps deliver the air to the right places.

Whilst the temperature does drop when putting it to low it is never ice cold , the same goes for when selecting Hi , it gets warm but never very hot .

Assuming that the blend motors are ok as they deliver the flow to the right areas , could this just be a case of needing a re gas ? , I have only just got the car and looking through the service history it looks as though the last re-gas was in 2005 ?.

Any help appreciated thanks

Chris

If yours is a petrol engine, then it might be the compressor clutch failing to engage, but otherwise, yes, have it re-gassed.

If the airflow seems a little weak, even when you have manually increased the fan speed, then change the twin air filters. New they are white.

HTH

thanks again Dave ... fingers crossed it is just a regas then , I read a lot of your articles on the P38 , excellent source of information and help, really appreciated.

thanks again , I will post the outcome next week after the regas.

cheers

Chris

Hello Chris,

As David suggests change the pollen filters too, they get neglected in servicing and can dramatically affect the climate control system.

I found a good source of these from Island 4x4 on Ebay £8.99 per pair + £2.50 pp.

Regards

Philip

Hi Chris,

Did you fix this problem???

It occurred to me that another cause could be the relay for the fans. Its the yellow one at the front l/h side of the fuse box (under bonnet) as you look at it from the front. When you get the book symbol up again try swapping it over with another yellow one. I had this problem a while ago......unfortunatly I had to replace the fuse box.

Regards

Philip

Hi Phil , thanks for that.

I had it re-gassed yesterday and has made a vast improvement although it doesn't seem as good as the aircon in my wifes Honda Accord.

The symbol doesn't show anymore and it definetly gets hot or cold as appropriate whereas before it was hardly any chnage. I checked the pollen filters as suggested , these were completely blocked with muck , almost as black as an oil filter and covered in bits of leaves etc. I have taken these out pending the new ones arriving today/tomorrow.

If i set it to Hi it gets nice and hot , if i set it to Lo it gets cold but not ice cold , degrees in between don't seem to make a lot of difference, is this normal for the P38 aircon ?

thanks again for your help Philip and David .

cheers

Chris

out of curiosity how much did you get charged for the re-gas?

My P38 (air con not working) changes temperature for every degree - noticable difference if LHS is 3 deg warmer than RHS. Carefull you don't drop leaves into the gap where the pollen filter goes... ask me how I Know :angry:

Ben

Hi Ben ...

I was lucky , a friend of mine is the Sales manager at a ford dealership , he got his service dept to do it for the price of the gas, £35 +vat !. Should have been approx £145 if I was 'Joe Public'.

Since my last reply the dreaded book symbol came back on this morning after 20 mins or so, when I switch the air con off and back on it then appears again after 10 mins or so , could it be to do with the pollen filters not being in ? Ref the leaves in the filter gaps, I hoovered the whole area and then used an airline to make double sure before taking them out so I don't think I got leaves in but what does happens if you do get them in the gap ?

All the airflow is ok , I tested as per David Sparkes articles.

cheers Chris

All that happens is that they make the most annoying noise the P38 has made yet, in search of a really thin hoover nozzle now :lol:

Gonna have to get mine regassed at some point - need to check my condensor first tho - assuming it is leaking :-(

Good Luck.

Ben

I notice that Kwik Fit are doing air con re-gassing for £45 , don't know if this includes leak test etc.

latest saga with mine is:

the re-gas definiitely made a difference to the temperature especially for Hi.

I am still having problems with the dreaded aircon so I decided to use the excellent document that David Sparkes wrote as a checklist and carried out a test as per doc then another test 20 minutes later, interesting that I got different results.

1st test :

The aircon definitely gets hot, but you have to have it on the Hi setting first , if you then reduce it by degrees it gets cooler until around 24 then it just goes to very cool (but not ice cold) If you have it on Lo then it is just very cool (again not ice cold).

Both rocker switches adjust the temperature but not really noticeable.

2nd test 15 mins later :

Same as above except the rocker switch for the drivers temp doesn't make any difference until you adjust the passenger side, then both controls adjust the temperature, again not noticeable temp changes unless you select Hi.

If I read the ref doc correctly this would suggest that the blend motor(s) is/are kaput ,but would that stop the aircon from getting ice cold and also stop it changing by degrees ? . Before I spend a small fortune on new blend motor(s) can anyone confirm my diagnosis , do I need all 3 blend motors ?

thanks

Chris

Hi g-rover ...

You can buy them individually but you have to splice them in , also I see you can use a Peugeot blend motor which is more substantial and cheaper .

Before going to the expense though I wondered if anyone can confirm my diagnosis .

thanks

Chris

Ben

I notice that Kwik Fit are doing air con re-gassing for £45 , don't know if this includes leak test etc.

me thinks that will definatly be worth looking into - thankyou for the link.

As for blend motors I found a place selling them cheap..... and I can't remember where it is.... can have a hunt about if you find you do need to replace them ( Pug 406 motors I believe are a direct replacement at half the cost ?)

Ben

Hi have you checked the two cooling fans in front of the radiator, these fans seize for fun in this country. The BECM will also put these motors on stop if they are a little stiff (causing them to draw too much current) the book will be displayed if this is the case. Als if the temp inside the vehicle is not correct cleen the sensor which is behind the small grill in the centre of the dash next to that compartment where you stash coins sweet wrapers etc, the sesor usually has a thick jacket of fluff wrapped around it. :rolleyes:

thanks landroversok , I will check these out later today and let you know, thanks for the ideas.

cheers

Chris

Hi have you checked the two cooling fans in front of the radiator, these fans seize for fun in this country. The BECM will also put these motors on stop if they are a little stiff (causing them to draw too much current) the book will be displayed if this is the case. Als if the temp inside the vehicle is not correct cleen the sensor which is behind the small grill in the centre of the dash next to that compartment where you stash coins sweet wrapers etc, the sesor usually has a thick jacket of fluff wrapped around it. :rolleyes: