Toyota 2CT diesel engine

Dariusbez

Hiya guys,

has anyone heard of people doing conversions with cheap second hand Toyota 2CT engines. I heard of someone thats done 140k kms at about 12km/litre in a series one! Just wondering if anyone local has heard of anything else about this. Apparently cruising speeds are 115kph to 125kph.

It bugs me though, its a pretty small engine (2.0L) and only produces 83hp at 4000rpm, concerned that it will be a dog. So I guess, I just want to know how fast the vehicle will go and how good it will be off road with that engine in (torque at low rpms).

The reason Im building it is for playing off road and also to use as a weekend vehicle for now. I am planning to do an overland trip in the next two years also (hence the concern about fuel).

Please help!

Thanks

Ps: I want to put it in a hybrid Landy (or De-rangy as we know them here in SA).

Go to our web site (the url is in my signature) and look up conversions. I don't think the engine you have is mentioned as it seems to be a bit on the small side. For my part, I know nothing about Toymotas, so can't help you.

Hi Jim,

This is one of the first sites I came across when searching for the engine on RSA sites, unfortunately it has no information about the engine, but it is mentioned there: 2CT 2 litre Turbo under the Toyota engines. I used to agree with the section on false economy running a diesel engine, you know: turbos are expensive to replace, shorter service intervals and bad quality fuel here. But with the way the fuel prices are looking now I think that it is time to jump on the diesel wagon.

Thanks for your post. Do you know anyone else tha t may be able to help?

Cheers

Ps: chilly up there this week? :D

If I were you I would post on the Overland bulletin board. The only problem with that is that you will get loads of e-mails a day, but there are lots of LR/Toymota experts there.

I can't wait for September :P

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice, will post any answers here. Hopefully things work out alright. All I want is to be able to drive a 4x4 that runs relatively economically at 120km/h that doeant cost a fortune and is reliable as well as good off road. <_<

HI try www.landroveraddict.com. then scroll down to overland forums. I've got an old article about a guy in NZ fitting a Toyota 2LT engine to a serires I. But this is a 2.4 turbo, he changed diffs etc. if you want I can TRY to scan it + e-mail it to you. stumpy.

HI try www.landroveraddict.com. then scroll down to overland forums. I've got an old article about a guy in NZ fitting a Toyota 2LT engine to a serires I. But this is a 2.4 turbo, he changed diffs etc. if you want I can TRY to scan it + e-mail it to you. stumpy.

Hi Stumpy,

Thanks, that would be great if u could. my address is dariusbez@hotmail.com.

Would be interested to see what he changed the diffs to, maybe he had a Salisbury axle and changed them from the original ratio to 354's as in the 110, thats what I plan to be running.

Cheers