Hi from Newbie Range Rover classic owner, Sussex

Hi.

I have only recently got 'into' Range Rovers, having always had Nissan Patrols for all my towing requirements . However I'm into old cars and want to build up an old Range Rover. So i've bought an abandoned project early 2 door, and two others for spares. I also bought a 93 (5 door) auto with LPG to drive about in to get a feel for the Range Rovers in real world application of towing my 3 ton trailer around.

What I've discovered is, the car handles better than I expected (polybushed) its quieter than I expected since its not particularly aerodynamic, it uses more fuel than I could have ever imagined, and it rusts far worse than I thought it would.

The rust problem is mainly what has made me look at the early models, the fact that so much of it is bolted together and therefore new parts can be put on it.

greenrangerover03s.jpg

So the plan is to make one good car out of the ones I've got and do a few mods to it in the process such as changing the engine.

Welcome to the world of rotten 2-door range rovers :rolleyes:

Yes they are bolt-together to a large extent but wielding the big hammer and electric-glue-gun will still be required.

Most (but not all) serious repair/replacement panels are available and the rest can generally be bodged up or obtained (if you're lucky) second hand.

If you're transferring stuff between models watch for changes - metrication on brakes and changes in axles for instance. Lots of parts from 4-doors won't fit as direct swaps but can be persuaded to fit relatively easily.

The 2-door won't handle as well as the 4-door but will still be able to drink like a fish and obviously cost much much more than the gas conversion you're running.

Don't even consider putting a diesel in it ... that's just heresy! ;)

Having said all that my 2-door (1972) is currently undergoing 'restoration' (failed MOT!) and I prefer it to the 4-doors ... don't know why, perhaps I'm mad but the only other model that looks anywhere near as good is an LSE ...

AndyG

What I've discovered is, the car handles better than I expected (polybushed) its quieter than I expected since its not particularly aerodynamic, it uses more fuel than I could have ever imagined, and it rusts far worse than I thought it would.

I think you just summed up old range rovers rather nicely! :lol:

Hi. Thanks. I had better not tell mr 101 what I have planned for the drivetrain :) As for the rotten body in the pic, yes it is absolutely rotted, when you open the front doors they crash to the ground as there are no A-pillars left.

HOWEVER I bought another 2 door, well, bits of a 2 door anyway. No engine or interior or brakes etc, but very solid body structure. Had some welding repairs but seem to have been done to a good standard.

norfolk-rangey002s.jpg

Hi there,

i agree. Range Rovers are great vehicles and they look good too, but have you ever considered building a 100'' hybrid? Ie: Range rover running gear with a Land Rover body on. It isnt necesary to use expensive panels either as you can fit series Land Rover body panels to the vehicle, bringing the costs down. You wil be amazed at the vehicle that you have built if you do this, their handling and off road performance is good, the rust problem is reduced and you have a lighter vehicle.

The reason that I bring this up is that I am seriously considering building a hybrid and wouldnt mind seeing some inspiration. ;)

I must say that I would like to put a diesel engine of some sorts into the vehicle as I do big mileage and cant afford to run a V8 - even though they are awesome engines! Suppose I want an engine that costs as much as a 3.5 V8, is as reliable, powerful and sounds as good but that does 12km/litre. Oh yers, if you know which engine Im speaking about, please let me know, because I dont know where to get one! :unsure:

PS: If you do decide to build a hybrid, then you're already miles ahead of me: I havent gone as far as buying a vehicle yet!

The reason that I bring this up is that I am seriously considering building a hybrid and wouldnt mind seeing some inspiration. ;)

You need to look in the "members vehicles forum" then, plenty of hybrids in there built in lots of different ways.

IMHO chopping up a classic 3-door would be rather poor form when there are so many rusty 4-doors out there.

Believe it or not, I did buy an unfinished hybrid SIIa / 1987 Range rover e few months ago, (shortened to 88 inch) it had no plumbing, or wiring done.

landy-deliver-bp-garage-s.jpgI wired everything up (3.5 EFI) and got the thing actually driveable but I realised the Series Landrovers are just too small for my needs. Very narrow, cramped, and seem to be noisy and draughty. Also the engine bay is too small for my planned engine. Probably a nice thing for offroading though. Sold it on, and carried on driving my faithful 1988 Patrol 4.2 diesel.

Basically what I want is a reliable , heavy , safe tow vehicle, with oodles of torque right from 700rpm upwards, 20+ towing MPG, will do 60 up motorway hills towing 3.5 tons, which is pre 1973 (as I object to taxing something at the full price that is only going to get used maybe once a month) good handling and ride, easy to get body parts for, and will last me for many many years with few repairs. I don't think such a vehicle exists, so I must build one. The closest yet is the Patrol. Its only really the rust (and the cost of the road tax ) that I have against it. Mechanically, I absolutely cannot fault it. Late RR classic is a close second, let down by rust and abysmol fuel economy (9 mpg towing) and an engine with no torque and a suspicious porus block problem.