Quick V8 question

dirtydiesel

Next question would be what is the difference between the crank noses on the serp v8s verses the non serp ones?

IIRC you can fit a serp front to a older style, by modding the keyway and cutting the nose etc, dont know about v belt fronts to serp engines though (will the crank nose be long enough?)

The oil pump is definitely in the serp timing cover - I've got one in the loft. No idea if you can modify an older crankshaft. You need to think about how to drive the oil pump, plus I think the serp crankshaft has a longer nose.

I'd have thought by the time you've taken care of all that you might as well just fit a serp crankshaft?

I thought the Serp crank was longer, not shorter, and as such fitting a serp front to a non-serp lump would be tricky?

My 4.6 has a ~12mm thick spacer ring from RPi on the nose of the crank to let you tighten the bolt that holds the front pulley on when using an old style front end like wot mine is. Otherwise the nose is too long.

the crank noses are totally different- later crank are much longer so that the nose can engage the oil pump directly.

the crank of the later 4.0 and 4.6 can be ground back to take a v-belt front cover.

there were actually 2 types of serpentine front end with a dizzy, but i can never remember what the oddities are! there was an early version which drove the oil pump off the dizzy and a later type which had the dizzy driven off the oil pump (if that makes sense)

you're surely much better off buying a 4.0 or 4.6 front cover moving the accessories across and going with MS- it's not much work for a man ofyour talents (it's even something that i have managed to do in the past!)

I was planning on using the front cover off the late serp 3.9 on an older non serp engine.

And was basically enquiring whether i would need to swap the crank over as well?

All this 4.6 'n' ms is falling on deaf ears, as we all know all that clatters is gold :ph34r:

OK, let's translate this into northern... hang on...

Ay oop, aaaah reck'n it'll not work f't' bluddy crank's too short, I say t' crank's too short lad, crossbeam'll go out't skew on treddle...

I think that's right? :unsure:

Basically serp cranks is longer than non-serp so you can make a serp engine V-belt by spacing the crank pulley retaining bolt out but the other way round the crank is too short. I don't know if that can be overcome easily or not.