The Vapour-Buildoff

would have entered with my 80in project - 3yrs in and all i'd done was strip it but then i went and bought pretty much what i was gonna build.

there are a couple of other ideas bubbling thru but need a better workshop first (last one i built SWMBO filled with horses when i took a teabreak :angry:. If i can enter a vapour shed then i'm in.

I've got a pile of V8 bits in the loft that will one day be fire breathing 5 litre supercharged monster. Or at least something vaguely more exciting than the stock 3.9 they started out as... I've even got a very shiny, unused (and also in bits in the loft) engine stand to go with it.

Don't think it's a winner in this company though!

Well SimonR has lost a lot of vapour-points there by showing a photo of something that includes suspension, drivetrain, chassis and engine in a roughly vehicular layout :P

RPR has a lot of catching up to do to gain points, perhaps he should follow Mr Warne's example and take his perfectly serviceable vehicle to pieces and then leave it in a (velvet-lined) shed for six months.

Les's entry is strong, playing with new toys and organising workshop space instead of actually doing any vehicle building is a well established technique. Double points if you had a TIG you couldn't use instead of just a MIG ;)

Jules gains points for unfinished abandonment but loses out because he hasn't posted up impressive tech on plans for seventeen-link semi-independent suspension and outlandish engine/gearbox/axle/tyre combos while the build was going on.

Jez gains points for doing maths although some sort of pie chart would give a real boost.

Bill's effort is strong but unfortunately his previous projects have left him with a large points deficit which would take approximately 75 years of inactivity (or 30 years of "getting the feel for my new welder") to reach the zero mark.

Roger gets points for timescale although tasteful choice of suspension knocks the points back a bit.

PMSL :hysterical:

Nige

PS 6 Months ? :blink:

Well, mine's finished in my head, but in reality it's scattered around the garage/loft and much to Dan's disgust the doors are in the bedroom :ph34r::lol:

At the moment I have a list of things to buy in the States, a large file fill of research, a pad full of complex (and slightly rubbish) drawings and a desparate need to come back with enough cash to buy portals. I'm disappearing for 5 months in 2 weeks ... surely that gets points for the most dedicated procrastination? ;):lol:

I have decided where I'm going to hang the mirror ball and fit the bubble machine tho' :huh:;):ph34r::lol:

Like Les H, my build has been hampered greatly by the rain. Although not as complex as some others on here, it is taking flippin' ages because (1) I keep finding more to do, (2) Because I like things proper, I do more than I HAVE to do, (3) The longer it is left outside, the more needs doing.

Running gear in and working.

On the front swivels and calipers (bling!) at the moment and managed to shear off one of the lower swivel pin bolts yesterday :angry:. I am putting off the bulkhead for now.

Found a cat asleep in it yesterday, so how many points for wildlife moving in?!

Found a cat asleep in it yesterday, so how many points for wildlife moving in?!

just sleeping can't count - the dogs sleep in/under the running truck now, however i reckon if it ends up being used to raise a litter in that's gotta be worth extra marks

just sleeping can't count - the dogs sleep in/under the running truck now, however i reckon if it ends up being used to raise a litter in that's gotta be worth extra marks

What about a tree starting to grow through it? I am currently 'finishing off' a Datsun SSS bluebird and that had a case of a tree starting to grow through it. I know that doesnt apply here, but it is pretty funny! I 98% finished a series one that has been standing around for 4 years now, decided that its time to sell it as it isnt in the same shape that it used to be in (if you know what I mean). So with that money I can get started on a hybrid. Hopefully finish the SSS before then and then be able to devote some time to the Hybrid. Building it for the odd off road outing but mainly to be used for overlanding. Keen to do some Mozambique, Malawi and Namibia trips and then do a really big one right up to Northern Africa and then through Eastern Europe and to the UK. As the theme goes, its all vapours for now!!!!

Cheers

would have entered with my 80in project - 3yrs in and all i'd done was strip it but then i went and bought pretty much what i was gonna build.

hangon dose 10 years count

I just can't get into it?

Been engaged on a chassis swap on my SIII 88 for the past few years.

It's turned into more than a straight swap, more an upgrade. Outwardly it looks like a SIII should, but I've brought the electrics upto date with plenty of relays & fuses, comfy seats, parabolics, inertia belts and so on.

SNAP! - But with a Lightweight. 4 years and counting - still theres some paint on it now so it looks like I'm on the final straight (just one more year then....)

I've also got another SIII 88" with a knackered engine sat at work that I haven't decided what to do with as well.

Cheers,

Lee

FF, you had 2 years head start so that's not fair! :D

How's that then Will? A pile of assorted parts arrived at the lab in June last year and a 109 came home from Ladoga in June this year, the messing about that went on before was for all intents and purposes nothing to do with the actual final build as none of it was kept!

How's that then Will? A pile of assorted parts arrived at the lab in June last year and a 109 came home from Ladoga in June this year, the messing about that went on before was for all intents and purposes nothing to do with the actual final build as none of it was kept!

I reckon Will could well be nicking that flimsy defense when his truck finally sees the light of day... :lol:

Just because you got it wrong and had to chuck it out doesn't mean you get to discount it Jon :P

I reckon Will could well be nicking that flimsy defense when his truck finally sees the light of day... :lol:

Just because you got it wrong and had to chuck it out doesn't mean you get to discount it Jon :P

I wasn't discounting it, THAT failed build was about 18 months I'll grant you, but even then I had some metal to show for it...