300tdi Injector timing

JimAttrill

From the Disco manual:

300 Tdi ENGINE

Type ................................................................................

2.5 Litre Turbo diesel intercooled

Firing order ..................................................................... 1-3-4-2

Injection timing ............................................................... 1,54 mm lift at T.D.C.

Injection timing with electronic EGR ............................ 1,40 mm lift at T.D.C.

Injection timing with EDC .............................................. 0,45 mm lift at T.D.C.

What does this mean? 1,54mm lift of what? We time our engines to 10 deg BTDC.

In the Defender manual within my RAVE disk, it shows the 'lift' under the FIP engine tuning data, IIRC it's to do with the cam/roller movement inside the pumps body, which wouldn't be accessible normally unless the FIP is being rebuilt/tested.

The lift pertains to the main pumping plunger of the Ve pump,on many other makes of engine the plunger lift is measured with a dial test indicator screwed into the pump,(injector pipe end,in the centre of the pipes)via an adaptor.Not necessary with LR TDI engines as the 9.5 mm peg is pushed into the drive end of the pump.

6Cyl VW turbo diesels fitted in the old Volvo 7series were set up like this,they had no key on the cam sprocket - used a setting gauge and feeler gauges either side of it for the cam belt.Then another belt drove the injector pump off the other end of the cam - again no key,just a tapered shaft.I used a digital DTI and I used to spend the time to set them up exactly - ignoring the plus or minus tolerances.It worked,they would start well,give good power and very little black smoke - alll from an engine that was prone to poor starting and or black smoke.

We time our 300tdi's to 10deg BTDC using a fancy peizo sensor from Snap-On which allows us to check the timing using a normal timing light. Where the figure of 10deg came from nobody really knows, but the engines do run well at that. The fine adjustment is done by slackening the three bolts on the injector pump pulley and turning the shaft. This means that the belt has to be static fitted with the slot in the pulley about in the centre, though with experience we know that the static timing is normally 4-5 BTDC so we will have to advance it slightly rather than the opposite.

ps I can see where you would screw the adaptor into the VE pump.

I have one of those clamp on piezo triggers to fire an ordinary timing light,mine was from MAC tools - thinks its exactly the same tho.Trouble was back then there were no dynamic timing figures written down for TDI stuff,so all we could do was check a couple that ran well and set others to that.Its a while ago but 8 degrees was what I remember - I guess we could have got a bit more out of them !