Strongest LR CV's

I've read this post but it's gone straight over the top of my head :unsure:

I'm thinking about replacing my 10 spline early Rangy axle bits. Fitting a 24spline ARB diff and metric hubs with HD flanges.

The question is, which is, and where to get the strongest standard staft / CV combo, without spending silly money on Ashcroft stuff ?

I've had good results with V8 90 rear shafts so wondering what'll be good for the front

Also, is there any difference between the Genuine, Paddock etc versions of the same part?

I've read this post but it's gone straight over the top of my head :unsure:

I'm thinking about replacing my 10 spline early Rangy axle bits. Fitting a 24spline ARB diff and metric hubs with HD flanges.

The question is, which is, and where to get the strongest standard staft / CV combo, without spending silly money on Ashcroft stuff ?

I've had good results with V8 90 rear shafts so wondering what'll be good for the front

Also, is there any difference between the Genuine, Paddock etc versions of the same part?

You could fit AEU2522 CV`s they are the strongest Land rover have to offer , But you will need Ashcroft front shafts to make them fit your 24 spline ARB.

Personally I would save up and get the Ashcroft CV`s also . Money well spent and a 5year waranty.

Just imagine the cost of breaking standard CV`s over 5 Years.

110 cvs are AEU2522

save/fit ashcrofts

you'll break AEU2522s with ease.

where does this bit come from:

I don't want to spend huge amounts of money of Ashcroft CV's, only to have them break.?

they are guaranteed for 5years

what more could you want?

AEU2522s cheapest around £30 apiece going up to £100 for GKNs

they all break, The GKNs are so hard they are brittle and the bell gives out.

Ashcrofts fitted and ARB/Simex on can be used as intended.

full power launches uphill or even in reverse with the car standing on its nose.

you'll break the Diff before the CVs.

How big are your tyres?

A competitor I know claims never to have broken a CV - he uses GKN Driveline AEU2522 and replaces them every year, this is with an ARB and gay tyres (235/85 BFG Muds)

He competes at the 3 peaks, Baskerville Challenge etc

Andrews 102" also runs GKN Driveline AEU2522, with standard shafts and a Truetrack torque biasing diff, he runs 35"/36" Simex and occaisionally has been known to give the car a fair bit of stick (whilst most of the time driving like a girl). That was with a 3.9 V8 and now a Td5

Just a bit of user experience for you

AFAIK all 10spline 90/110 axles had AEU2522 fitted, my 1987 certainly does anyway. They have taken some pain on rocks, hard landings, and reversing up hll on power, all without failure. Admittedly this is with small tyres (35" simex) and open diffs though

Isnt Diesel Jim running arbs/standard cv's with no issues?

Lewis :)

110 cvs are AEU2522

save/fit ashcrofts

you'll break AEU2522s with ease.

where does this bit come from:

I don't want to spend huge amounts of money of Ashcroft CV's, only to have them break.?

they are guaranteed for 5years

what more could you want?

AEU2522s cheapest around £30 apiece going up to £100 for GKNs

they all break, The GKNs are so hard they are brittle and the bell gives out.

Ashcrofts fitted and ARB/Simex on can be used as intended.

full power launches uphill or even in reverse with the car standing on its nose.

you'll break the Diff before the CVs.

Because a front Diff is so much quicker to repair than a CV.

:rolleyes:

I never used to care about my CV's and still to date have never broken one but thats me and the events I have competed in....JBS summer, Mike Wolf , Inch by inch, Slindon and loads of club level and never outside the top ten

Its only worth it if you have lockers and big tyres if you have a near standard truck save your money until you have the other toys there are more important things to spend money on for your truck

I don't know what you do with your car when I am not with you Dave, but when I do see you, you seem to do a lot of green-lane type off-roading like me. In 6+ years with my 1991 Defender90 I have not broken the standard front axle, apart from a few weeks ago when the diff broke while recovering a Jeep from a puddle in France. :( The 10 spline shafts and AEU2522s have been fine - so for my uses Ashcrofts, GKN, D44 etc. kit would look like a waste of money.

Sorry Dave, I do not know the part numbers for my half shafts but 1991 and on Defenders should fit the bill - until you get to the later 32 spline CV/shafts some time during 300Tdi...?

I know it is inconvenient, but think how many standard CVs/shafts you could afford to bust for the price of new, stronger kit. Consider the potential knock on effect of stronger shafts etc. if you run a standard diff.

Chris

Mr Ashcroft posted up a graph of his tests on cv strength some time ago whilst developing his own and IIRC the paddocks ones were stronger than the genuine ones !

I do a few challenges, laning and some road work and have not broken a standard cv or half shaft to date, touch wood, perhaps I've been lucky !

Mo

Although I'd very much like the Ashcroft CV's too - they are a bit too spendy for my purposes.

I have gone for the second best option - as proved by Dave A' s CV mangling machine at Billing last year!

The CV that came second behind Ashcroft was a cheap as chips Bearmach / Britpart / D44 / Autopost (they all seem to be the same CV's). I've paid as little as £35 for one. They break where the shaft joins on to the bell but it's a nice clean break which does not fill the swivel housing up with metal splinters. They turned out to be stronger than the GKN ones too.

Si

Dave ,, As you know,I run 3.5EFI V8 / Auto Box ,Front and Rear ARB's with simex tyres

and it has been know that sometimes, I have used the V8 to it full pontential :D

And with Kam Shafts all round and AU2522 CV's , have yet to have any CV problem, (touch wood), They have been checked, but untouched for 2 years !!

you could go longfield with that axle

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/axles.html

quite favourable given the weakness of the dollar at the moment, $660.

they come with a lifetime warranty too.

does leave your diff as weakest link and if you do bust a cv or shaft (which seems to be not toooo likely), you'll have to wait for your replacement as this set, being toyota derived, is 27 spline at the cv end so you can't just swap in a normal cv in the interim as you oculd with the ashcroft setup.

there's a big thread about them on pirate.

still lots more expensive than £35 a cv

Guest diesel_jim
Isnt Diesel Jim running arbs/standard cv's with no issues?

Lewis :)

Yup, sure am....

300Tdi (tweeked a bit), 255/85's and sometimes my 35" simex's.

standard AEU2522 god-knows what milage on them.

ARB 24 spline lockers front & back.

Ashcroft 23/24 spline HD shafts.

I've broken 2 CV's in the last 6 or 7 years, one driving full lock down a slope and gunned it out forgetting the front locker was in, and a mate borrowed my 90 to do an event and broke one.

i've also broken one of the ashcroft front shafts. snapped clean through (just like you'd cut it on a lathe, it was that smooth), a few years ago though.

Dave

I run the Bearmach jobbies that Si mentions. Up until a few months ago the rest was bogo '87 110 with 200K and 20 years on it. Diff and half shaft got lunched during a left foot braking operation with all the weight of the vehicle on one front wheel.

New set up is 24 spline diff and HD shafts (from a Mr P Rowe)

To be honest what you do and what I do are very similar with you having the more manly tyres (both vehicles having 32's).

The Bearmach jobbies have been in since the conversion (so about 5 years) and when I checked them during the axle re-build they were fine and dandy.

If I had the pennies I would be knocking at Dave's door but I don't so I make do with what works with a lighter left foot...

AFAIK all 10spline 90/110 axles had AEU2522 fitted, my 1987 certainly does anyway.

All Defenders and the last of the 110s used weaker 32 spline CVs (RTC6862 until TD5). Late 110s and most 200tdi Defenders had 10 spline at the diff end and 32 spline at the CV. Change point from AEU2522s was axle no 20L48866, which as far as I can work out, occurred some time in 1988.

Paul :)

Although I'd very much like the Ashcroft CV's too - they are a bit too spendy for my purposes.

I have gone for the second best option - as proved by Dave A' s CV mangling machine at Billing last year!

The CV that came second behind Ashcroft was a cheap as chips Bearmach / Britpart / D44 / Autopost (they all seem to be the same CV's). I've paid as little as £35 for one. They break where the shaft joins on to the bell but it's a nice clean break which does not fill the swivel housing up with metal splinters. They turned out to be stronger than the GKN ones too.

Si

This is what I used to run and they weren't bad for the money. Yes you could break them but it was normally when being silly. The only word of warning is that I found you often bend the ends of the stub axle out when these CVs blow meaning the hub unts need to be split (and replaced) and the stub axle is only fit for the skip.

Ashcrofts are a big step up and allow you to drive much more aggressivly but if you fit AEU2522's now then you can swap Ashcroft CVs in as and when you can afford them.

This is what I used to run and they weren't bad for the money. Yes you could break them but it was normally when being silly. The only word of warning is that I found you often bend the ends of the stub axle out when these CVs blow meaning the hub unts need to be split (and replaced) and the stub axle is only fit for the skip.

Ashcrofts are a big step up and allow you to drive much more aggressivly but if you fit AEU2522's now then you can swap Ashcroft CVs in as and when you can afford them.

Yes, splitting the stub axle/spindle is an absolute PITA, in many cases requires the truck be towed home if you don't have spares. Merely inconvenient for comp guys or those who don't stray too far from civilisation, but a potentially life changing scenario in remote locations.

If I couldn't afford Ashcrofts I'd rather spend half an hour fishing out schrapnel from the swivel housing after a brittle cv joint letting go than trying to limp out of the high country or desert on 3 or even 2 wheels.

Bill.