Air filter sizing

Due to time constraints finishing the 109, a 200TDi (Disco?) airbox got pressed into service mounted on the passenger side of the bulkhead (the only place there's any decent space). However, I had originally planned to use a stonking great V8 110 airbox but couldn't make the mounting/plumbing work out sensibly.

Is the 200TDi filter likely to be impeding the V8 (4.6) and is there a decent alternative to the big but cumbersome 110 filter - perhaps a P38 airbox and panel filter even? Any parts pictures from EPC would be gratefully received.

A friend was running a 200tdi filter on his 110 (also a 4.6) and noted improvemnts when this was changed to a K&N cone type air filter

Of course you could fix it the 'proper' way by fitting a 200tdi, then you would know the filter was suited :lol:

Lewis :)

The filter in a 200Tdi airbox is ample for a V8 but the in/out pipes may be on the small side. Remember though, that a Tdi squashes the air before it goes in the engine so at full boost, flows a lot more air than a 2.5 N/A engine.

Chris

Do they do a K&N direct replacement for 200TDi filters? That might solve it. Not keen on the cone ones as it would probably mean mounting it on top of the snorkel and that just seems like a bad idea in wet weather.

As for fitting a TDi:

wrong0lo.jpg

K&N and other types of cone filters are made waterproof by the oil they are impregnated with

Many people run them at the top of the snorkel with no problems

SD531011.jpg

Image075.jpg

a1450d999aa3b320514d0773d5a491f3.jpg

8b3c776fb576fe0a6301470f26713938.jpg

91a907be0241e5791db06618c2b09cfa.jpg

The Green cotton ones fitted to the 102", RRC, and both Devon 4x4 vehicles are rated to 350bhp and are only £35

The Devon 110 is a 4.6 IIRC

Lewis :)

Edit : the white car in the middle photo runs a 4.6 John Eales V8 and a Green cotton filter

Remember a 2.5 litre engine pressurised at 1 bar is going to use the same amount of air as a normally aspirated engine twice its size. So a 200/300 filter should be good for a 5.0l engine.

Having said that, we fit a gigantic Donaldson filter when we fit a 6.2 GM diesel to a Defender, and two smaller ones (still bigger than the tdi unit) to a Disco.

The 4.0 V8 in the Discovery uses a standard Td5 type air filter and I'm guessing the NAS 4.6 probably still uses that.

At any given revs a 2.5 litre turbo engine running at 1 bar boost ought to use the same amount of air as a 5.0 litre naturally aspirated engine, in theory at least...

Good point Jim - I've no immediate plans for a turbo :ph34r: so I'll stick with an easily-sealed airbox and cheap, readily available filters I think.

If I bolted a K&N to the end of my snorkel I'm pretty sure the natives would take a fancy to it overnight <_<

If I bolted a K&N to the end of my snorkel I'm pretty sure the natives would take a fancy to it overnight <_<

They would need to be damn tall natives to take it off a snorkel at above screen height on an 8ft tall truck?

But then again, you do live in Gosport! :lol:

In my humble experience, the smaller aftermarket airfilters are less effective, ie more dirt in the engine.

I would go for the biggest paper filter you can fit.

The position in front of the windscreen would get knocked of in the jungle, for sure.

Daan

Forget the K&N/Green/oil coated type filters.

As Daan says. Use the largest paper filter. That's exactly what Bowler run in the desert. At the LRW show I was party to a conversation when a certain Mr Bowler was giving a certain Mr Buck a lesson in the finer points of air filtration.

I'm just in the process of changing my inlet/injection to Thor type (see thread in members vehicles). all of that along with onboard air, means that i am going to have to rearrange the engine bay.

I am doing the following.

- original v8 air box, binned

- megasquirt relay/connections box, EDIS moved to bulkhead

- window washer water bottle to bulkhead

- I found a decent quality air filter box from a honda legend v6 3.2, its all cast construction & seems ample filter area. this is going on the left of the engine bay.

Will post pics in my thread soon.