Fuel tanks

pugwash

Can anyone offer any advice on fuel tanks?

i need a custom one made (althoguh i "hope" it's just going to be a big rectangular box). I have spoken to alisport and they are charging about 20% more than other people i have spoken to. is the premium for their work worth it?

is going for an ali tank the best way forward? would i be better off with a foam filled FIA aproved jobby?

Size wise- as the fule tank is giong to be mounted as low down as possible, and i may want to enter some events that require a LOT of fuel (this is a big thirsty V8 after all) do I buy a huge tank at great expense (which will keep the C of G low and mean i don't clutter the vhiecle up with jerry cans), or do i save a bit of money and buy a much smaller jobby and just use jerry cans when i need the extra?

I cant comment on alisports stuff other than the stuff I have seen looks great.

Ajh in hereford also make fuel tanks but I have only seen intercoolers that they have done. Theres also another company there but cant rememeber there name, good quality and good prices.

I had mine made, a rectangular tank 10gallons made by searchng around small engineering companies, The small places with one person, found one with good quality work and very cheap.

If its FIA faom filled be warned its going to cost...

with FIA it may need to be bagged as well (I could be wrong)

I was looking at a 100lt tank for the Tomcat to go international FIA Baja racing and the best I could find was £1000 ish though one of my sponers....

the 150lt fuel cells you could be looking at a few grand so if you need FIA it will cost alot if you don't need FIA it will be sooo much cheaper

the Freelander had 250 lt FIA faom bag tank in a ally box and that was a obssean amount of money so the prevous owner told me

Why bother with Ali?

Can't see the benefit in it myself. It's not as if you're trying to save weight on your wagon is it :lol: !

If you go for two tanks, how about two RR plastic tanks? That would give you plent of fuel!

Bish- Ali because the tanks are going to be exposed to some degree and i don't really want them rotting away.

I thought about plastic but they just aren't the right shape and would take up far too much space.

good idea on the two tank thing jez- might have a think about running two seperate fuel pumps for redundancy. What this JAS tank you are referring to?

Jules- thanks for the heads up on cost- there goes that idea out of the window then...........................

Guest diesel_jim

I've seen the tanks that Andy @ Allisport has made for andy Chaplin in his rain forest 90 and his moroccan tomcat.

they are pure excellence. not sure about the "other" makes, but allisports have all the internal baffles and nice bling looking filler caps and mounting brackets.

Jim,, recon a tow hook and bowser :lol:

don't know how you can talk- at least i'll have a fuel cap that will keep the fuel IN the truck- i reckon i'll still have better economy than your tank will.

Rally Design, are good people, dealt with for years !!

that was the name i was trying to thing of- i was going to thieve one of your mags last time i was over, but forgot DOH

How long ago did you get the quote from Allisport? They have better access to cutting equipment now, either way it would be worth discussing the price again with Andy.

Whilst plugging them, they recently supplied me with some 3.5" silicone tube at less than half Demon Tweaks price

How long ago did you get the quote from Allisport? They have better access to cutting equipment now, either way it would be worth discussing the price again with Andy.

Whilst plugging them, they recently supplied me with some 3.5" silicone tube at less than half Demon Tweaks price

I have had a few problems with producion debris in some of there tanks :angry:

I now use Allard, totally diferent quality (and price) to allisport

Had two tanks made by Andy at Allisport can not fault the quality or service and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Looked round for a while before going to see them and decided that you dont have to pay top price but also cheapest is not always the way to go. I recon fair price, good quality and service wins every time.