Austin Champ..

Fatboy

'Evening all!

I am toying with buying a Champ. Pretty complete, rear axle is fine apparently... Has not moved for a while and has a fair bit of rust. Still has the original Rolls Royce engine.

Without a doubt it needs a lot of work but I am really tempted....

I've had a good trawl around the web so have found the Champ Register and apparently most of the parts are still available (either new copies or old originals).

If I do take the plunge - does anybody have experience or opinions about trying to keep it totally original or are there some things that are just impractical (Complex military wiring and 24V springs to mind....) :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at the specifications - In standard trim it will go through something like 2ft of water but if marinised, its good for 6ft... Best buy me a snorkel, (and the Champ!!) :D

Hmm....

I've never seen one that has not been restored in Military (or close to) trim... (Can anybody produce a photo to prove me wrong?) With the independent suspension they are meant to be pretty funky for comfort on the rough stuff.

Probably plenty of room to sneak in an LPG tank for economics. Apparently they run on Lead Free fuel so I guess it would be okay for LPG?

The other daft thing is I've got a set of spilt Champ rims kicking around so could finally use them! I did try them on the 90 but the bolts snapped the bleed nipples of the brake calipers - What a pain in the backside that was!!

My dad bought a Champ a few years ago and its a lovely vehicle to drive, very easy to maintain too. He also bought a shed load of spares that is cluttering up his garage, including a whole front axle! (Bl***y heavy!!!) I will convince him to sell them!

I heard that there is a website, something like www.champspares.something but is on the pricey side, and can be sourced much cheaper.

We go to a huge Militara show every year (January ish) at Stoneleigh, its HUGE, and you can buy every spare bit for a Champ there! Even a Bren gun! :ph34r:

Muddyplugger..

From what I've seen so far, most of the manuals can still be got. There are various websites and a newsletter plus loads of photos..

I thought it was meant to be really heavy but its not that bad.

I've currently got the remnants of a Range Rover on my trailer (Shell / Chassis) so I think I'll have to try and get rid of that in the next couple of days...

A chap came round the other day and told me of a Land Rover sitting in a field hidden by high grass.............

I investigated and lo and behold it was an Austin Champ..................

A bit beyond me i'm afraid....spares would be non-existant in Canada............. shame really :(

I'd love one, go on, do it :)

Mo

I've had 4 champs, they are LOVELY ! Spares can be expensive (though 'readily' available. Snorkels are like R H sh*t though. Excellant ride. Electrics were never an issue with mine. Only ever had probs with rear axles. BUY IT and keep us posted

:D

RIGHT ;)

Thats it.... I'm gonna give the man a call tomorrow and make an offer he can't refuse (like the asking price?)

Can't go fetch just yet though as the trailer is still full of Rangie... :rolleyes:

I will take photos of my new toy (hopefully) and post them when I get it (hopefully! ;) )

ooohhh... I'm all excited!! Thanks for all the advice (buy it/ buy it/ buy it/.... :D )

Lucky SOON TO BE SERIOUSLY BROKE bugger

Nige

Nige,

Need to remove the "Soon to be..." part to be factually correct :lol:

... but chuffed with it, its got the doors in the back but all of the canvass is rotten, not that thats a big problem :rolleyes:

My cousin restored a champ when he was 16 (it was his first car) I seem to remember that the gearbox had a forward/reverse selector so that you could reverse at 50mph in 4th gear if you wanted! I remember going for a ride in it, and he did this on a nice straight road. My mum was in the car as well as he hadn't passed his driving test, she was not impressed!

My cousin restored a champ when he was 16 (it was his first car) I seem to remember that the gearbox had a forward/reverse selector so that you could reverse at 50mph in 4th gear if you wanted! I remember going for a ride in it, and he did this on a nice straight road. My mum was in the car as well as he hadn't passed his driving test, she was not impressed!

that feature would have sold millions to the italian army :lol:

There is indeed a separate lever for fwd/rev.. and I believe it works on the back axle. Apparently this was the main reason they stopped using them because too many were being broken by squaddies going backwards at silly speeds. The reverse gear is on small bearings that cannot handle the higher gears..

Having gone backwards in my Series 1 then engagine the overdrive for a chuckle, I will not be trying it. It scared me daft as it seemed really unstable. :o:o

It scared me daft as it seemed really unstable
I discovered how to do 'J' turns quite unexpectedly whilst reversing along a (narrow) driveway a tad too fast - and only just missed out on an opportunity to learn more about panel beating :D

Reversing at speed is great if you like surprises...

Hi there

A guy who works for my Dad told me he once had a Champ back in the 70's.

He said it was excellent fun.......................

I remember him telling me a few years back a story about him showing off to his mates late at night after the clubs had just kicked out, the ability to reverse as fast as going forward................................

he was being a "right jack the lad", his words not mine................

he failed to appreciate that the braking system seemed not to work as effectively in reverse as when travelling forward....

resulting in the flattening of some traffic lights as he lost control in front of a crowd who promptly fell about laughing !

He didn't seem to learn his lesson........

He took up a bet with some guy that he could drive around the end of the Old Margate Pier when the tide was out. Apparently he had managed this numerous times before..............

unfortunately the sand had shifted from previous completed missions and he lost the vehicle to an increased depth of water........................

and again infront of a big Bank Holiday beach crowd.

They covered it in the local paper at the time. He said he felt a right plank.

But he often talks of that Old Champ with really fond memories. He has had some cars in his time but he reckons that was the most fun of all.................and he recalls the beach chicks at the time loved it as well.

I think you'll have great fun with your Champ

Good luck with your restoration

regards, gary