Timing belt repair kit STC4095L vs STC4096L

batata

Hi there I own a Disco 1 built 1995.

I have problems with the timing Now my dealr sold me the kit STC4096L. But If I read the discriptions I need kit STC4095L. The diffrence is in the frot cover as I could see on the web.

Can some one tell me whwt the exact diffrence is between the fron covers?

Can I modify my current cover?

Thank you

Batata

STC4095K includes the whole timing case as you may have seen, also other bits like the FIP bracket

I don't think you can modify the old front cover as it is supposed to be slightly distorted or something so if your vin number is an early one, you need the other kit.

Hi is it possible to provide the excact diffrence between the two cases?

I think I have the new one installed allready.

My dealer sold me the 4096L without the case but my vin number says that I need the 4095L.

Also in the istallation instructions I saw something about a hole of 45 degrees 2mm.

Do you know Why that is needed?

May be If you have pictures of the two diffrent cases so I can see the diffrence.

Thank you

Batata

No way I know of telling them apart I am afraid, the new one probably has the countersunk hole for one of the pulleys (idler or tensioner can never remember which) but then so does any front cover that has had a 4096 fitted.

No way I know of telling them apart I am afraid, the new one probably has the countersunk hole for one of the pulleys (idler or tensioner can never remember which) but then so does any front cover that has had a 4096 fitted.

So the counter sunk is the only diffrence. (please check attached document.) Do you know the reason for this?

I cannot upload attachment can I send it by email?

Thank you

Batata

try the 'full edit' choice under the drop down 'edit' button at the bottom of your reply, you should be able to upload the information in .jpg or .pdf form straight from your home pc.

OK I will try

I tried but the uploading takes forever I like to upload a 400k file after an hour I stopped is tere an other way to upload?

I am using fire fox is that may be the problem?

Thank you

Firefox should be fine, I use that and it is quicker than IE

OK I just had success in the gallary there you will find the instructions as I foud them in the box.

My question is now Is this modification the only diffrence between the old and new case?

Thank you

Batata

I needed the full kit but my stealer fitted the cheaper one. I am still working on the later kits even though my timing case is warped. As long as you change the belt at ~ 60 000 kms it will not matter, I changed my belt at 80, 140 and 200 k kms and am now at 252 000 kms.

It is to make sure the mating faces are perfectly flush and there is no possibility of swarf or an imperfect edge around the hole which makes the pulley slightly cock eyed, I think. Only my theory though!

• 6 years later...

Reviving an old thread here! I recently picked up a 300tdi from a discovery but don’t have the vin number for it. I pulled the front cover and it appears to have the old style idler pulley and timing gear. (Lips on the idler pulley, none on the gear). I’ve read that there is a kit that fixes this but it looks pretty spendy, so my questions are.

On kit STC4095K how did they modify the FIP bracket. Can the existing bracket be modified and if so how? Why do they include a new timing cover with this kit?

I’m a little dense and I’ve read this thread multiple times and don’t understand the difference between STC4095L and STC4096L? More importantly, how do I tell which kit do I need for the motor that I have?

Thanks in advance,