brakes whining and scaring people away

cheers,

On my '99 110" STW 300 Tdi, the brakes are whining. Its not just a bit, it's so much that if you don't keep the windows closed, it actually rings in your ears for a while after having used the brakes. People are looking at my car(normally not a bad thing), obviously annoyed by the horrible sound.

It has disc brakes all around, and what puzzles me is that the rear brake pads are quite loose. they are kept in place by two pins, going through holes in the calipers and in the pads. The holes are oval, so the pads can move a bit up and down. When driving at low speed, you can actually hear the pads rattling. This stops immediately if I touch the brake pedal. On the front brakes, the pads are mounted with pins and springs, which looks like they keep them from rattling.

The rattling is not really a problem for me, but the whining is. Can any of you guys tell me what to do to get rid of that whine? I've tried cleaning them, lubricating the rear of the pads with coppergrease, but to no avail.

/tony

well you have said the main one to do - - copper grease the rear of the pads, but if that hasn't solved it then.... (how much copper grease did you use? more the merrier..

is there any abnormal wear marks on the pads,, what condition are the discs in... if they be too far gone then it could causing the problem... are the hubs loose or allowing too greater movement - having said that you would get steering problems too.

er...

what about swapping out all the pads and securing pints etc etc...?

not much help I know.. but just a few ideas you may not of thought of yourself.

cheers,

On my '99 110" STW 300 Tdi, the brakes are whining. Its not just a bit, it's so much that if you don't keep the windows closed, it actually rings in your ears for a while after having used the brakes. People are looking at my car(normally not a bad thing), obviously annoyed by the horrible sound.

It has disc brakes all around, and what puzzles me is that the rear brake pads are quite loose. they are kept in place by two pins, going through holes in the calipers and in the pads. The holes are oval, so the pads can move a bit up and down. When driving at low speed, you can actually hear the pads rattling. This stops immediately if I touch the brake pedal. On the front brakes, the pads are mounted with pins and springs, which looks like they keep them from rattling.

The rattling is not really a problem for me, but the whining is. Can any of you guys tell me what to do to get rid of that whine? I've tried cleaning them, lubricating the rear of the pads with coppergrease, but to no avail.

/tony

Guest diesel_jim

My ones have a spring that slides over the fixing pin, so in effect it's pushing the pads off of the disc when you're not pressing the pedal.

It's only a small spring, nothing mega-strong, but i suspect enough to stop the rattling.

the kit is STC8578...

post-130-1183625455_thumb.jpg

My ones have a spring that slides over the fixing pin, so in effect it's pushing the pads off of the disc when you're not pressing the pedal.

It's only a small spring, nothing mega-strong, but i suspect enough to stop the rattling.

the kit is STC8578...

post-130-1183625455_thumb.jpg

Sure about that part #? Google doesn't know it, and neither do johncraddock. But it still sounds right to me.

Thanks guys, I'll try this and the grease.

/tony

Guest diesel_jim
Hmm.. What kind of car do you have? Mine sure doesn't use vented discs on the rear... :blink:

so...

/tony

these were on my 110, i just banged in "land rover pads" but the springy things are the same on front and back i think, it's only the length of the pin thats any different.

these were on my 110, i just banged in "land rover pads" but the springy things are the same on front and back i think, it's only the length of the pin thats any different.

kewl, I'll give it a shot.

thanks,

/tony

Not relevant to the squeek but my new 110 has a very noisy rattle from the rear n/s pads. Springs and everything are in place and it hasn't bedded in so I'll get the pads changed as they must just be a 'loose' set.