Would he have critisised either way?

JSG

Chaps Dad is suggesting they should have ripped his foot off to get him out. Whilst it may have saved his life can you imagine his Dad's reaction - more likely to be 'idiots crippled my son' instead of 'thanks - just what I'd have suggested.'

BBC News Link

Landrover content though.

Last week, Geoffrey Claxton, whose son, Andrew, runs Kingston Koi Company where Mr Barnett worked, also expressed concern at how the emergency services reacted to the rescue.

He said: "It was quite a while before the firemen came. He was getting weaker and weaker. They didn't have a clue how to get him out.

"All they needed was a chain and a Land Rover and that would have pulled him out."

"Just wrap this chain round your neck mate and we'll soon have you free"

Guest diesel_jim
"All they needed was a chain and a Land Rover and that would have pulled him out."

What a complete idiot! it would have garotted him, and pull half of him out.... :o

do people have any brains at all? or indeed any gratitude?

The bloke was a complete pr!ck for climbing down into the drain in the first place... it was his workplace he was trying to save.... i certainly wouldn't do that for my work.. and i work for a family business! :blink:

What a complete idiot! it would have garotted him, and pull half of him out.... :o

do people have any brains at all? or indeed any gratitude?

The bloke was a complete pr!ck for climbing down into the drain in the first place... it was his workplace he was trying to save.... i certainly wouldn't do that for my work.. and i work for a family business! :blink:

i was talking to a couple of paramedics last week at speedway and they couldn't understand why they had not amputated the chaps leg to get him out.

He told Sky News: "They could've pulled him out and even if it had broken his leg or pulled his foot off, at least he'd be alive.

yeah until he either caught an infection from the contaminated water

Firefighters then attempted to cut the grate, which was actually a piece of fencing material put in place after the original grille was damaged in previous flooding.

It is thought Mr Barnett got his foot trapped in the makeshift metal grille as he tried to clear some debris.

maybe if they had replaced the grille with the right thing he wouldn't have got stuck

cynical mode - paving the way for a compensation claim

I think the father is in a world of pain at the moment, and thats completely understandable - if a loved one died I think its natural to kick off at any missed opportunity (either real or hypothetical) that could have offered them a better chance of survival. My brother died in an RTA and I spent years searching for some thing that could have changed the outcome - in the end I just made peace with it.

I dont think the emergency services knowingly did anything wrong - they did the best they could do, in hindsight everything is correctable - but at the time could you make that decision?

The nice people that keep my first aid ticket up to date stress its better to cripple someone than leave them in an environment that will certainly lead to thier death but I would hate to be in that position. My thoughts are with both the family and the members of emergency services.