RRC's.....now I know why they weigh so much

I stripped a rangie or pretty much every cable it had - there must of been a wheel barrow full or cables.. if not two... and then we just re-wired in the bits we wanted to work.. job done.

However the project died a death and we never finished it.. so don't know wether it worked or not...

I've been stripping my RR down and i swear half of the wires just under the bonnet aren't used. grrr. they'll all be coming out.

i'm just looking at lightening up the front doors on mine- i reckon you could save about 80kg by stripping most of the weight out.

I'm trying to work out how difficult it would be to make a lightweigth frame with "runners" in it that will take any sideways pressures of trees and the like but which can be skinned in plastic or similar. I would do away with wind down windows and all that gubbins, replacing the windows with perspex for travelling if needed.

other option is just to cut down the doors as much as possible, but you might end going through a few before you got the right mix of weight and strength.

i know when i stripped the RR for the hybrid and we dumped all the wiring loom on the engine bay, we had several people ask why we had put several looms on op of the rolloing chassis.

Everyone as stunned to find out that it was just from the one vehicle!

it must have weighed 20 - 30kg, and that was after i had removed some of the unwanted seat, windows, and central locking surplus.

I also think that the seats have alot to answer for too!!

I read somewhere that a pair of rover 200 front recaros were lighter than a single RR front seat.

We geustimate that 150 - 200kg was lost when i built the hybrid, be interesting to find out, i know it has gone up an inch and half(ish) on the springs due to lost weight.

We geustimate that 150 - 200kg was lost when i built the hybrid, be interesting to find out, i know it has gone up an inch and half(ish) on the springs due to lost weight.

If you know the poundage of your springs you could take a good guess, considering the back tub of yours probably weighs about 1/4 or less than the back half of a stock RR.

I also think that the seats have alot to answer for too!!

I read somewhere that a pair of rover 200 front recaros were lighter than a single RR front seat.

Not half as comfy, though :D

I want to know how come my disco weighs more than my range rover, even though it's got naff all electric toys and no leather armchairs. The difference can't all be in the steel roof, surely? :unsure: