Air Con Bearing

eddie c

Is it possible to change the bearing in the front of the air con compressor, mine is noisy. Is the bearing worn or could it be some other problem. Someone suggested it should run in oil, is this right?

The gas in the compressor lubricates the compressor pistons, but i think the pully bearing is sealed.

I had a go at changing one a while back, I was using it for my on board air system.

I ended up distroying the front of the housing as the bearing is put in from the back of the compressor and locates in the front casing so if you try pulling the front pully off you end up ripping the bearing flange off.

If you are going to strip it down i would recomend starting from the rear of the compressor and work forwards. It would be easier just to get another compressor.

Regards

wizard

If need the bearing its the same as the fan belt tensioner, just did it a few weeks ago.

It is the bearing, I tried bearing services without any luck. My local LR dealer wants to sell me a compete air con compressor. Does any one know where I might get a suitable bearing from?

I have changed several bearing on 200tdi compressors.

Some have a circlip that holds them in , others have a press on the edge of the pully about every 20 mm or so.

They are all in stock in Australia from my local bearing supplier and a lot cheaper than a new compressor.

Keep tring and good luck.

If you used a bearing puller to get the pully off check that you have not damaged the V section.

The ideal way id to used three bolts that screw into the pully with a plate drilled to the same dimensions.

The weld a fine nut in the middle and turn a bolt down to a point and use that as a pully.

Much more reliable and does not damage the pully.

Hope that helps

Peter

Peter, mine is a 300 TDI compressor, don't know if that's different from a 200TDI. But it comes apart as you discribe, with a circlip and a little press on the edge. It came apart no problem.

REJO

Is that the part number for the 300TDI or are they all the same?

THanks ED

Just to make life easier for you the SKF bearing number is SKF 6203-2RS

I went to beaerins services with this number but it's nothing like mine.

The one I have is Nachi 308DS10DST2

CAN ANYONE HELP?

I went to beaerins services with this number but it's nothing like mine.

The one I have is Nachi 308DS10DST2

CAN ANYONE HELP?

The critical bit of the other number is 6203 this is the actual bearing code, you can get a 6203 bearing from just about anywhere, try any place that sells motorbike wheel bearings for starters, 6203s are regularly used for this purpose and do umpteen other things too. If yours isn't a 6203 there will be a number on it, something like that, there are 6202 and 6204 bearings as well but there should be a standard code on it somewhere. People don't usually reinvent the wheel and build their own bearings when a standard one will do :)

sorry re-read the whole thread and it seems not to be a 6203 is this correct? there should be a standard number on there somewhere...

The only number on the bearing is Nachi 308DS10DST2 . The SKF bearing number SKF 6203-2RS, was passed on to me by REJO, but when I gave this number to the bearing factors, he told me it was no where near the same as mine

You got the bearing number wrong.

The air con CLUTCH bearing is NACHI 30BGS10-DST2 which is THE bearing found on (Nippon)Denso AC compressors on many different vehicles. It is a special bearing specifically designed and used on air compressor electromagnetic clutches. We're talking about a Double-row Angular Contact Ball Bearing. The specs are here: http://www.nachi-fujikoshi.co.jp/eng/jik/pdf/370.pdf

The main characteristics:

- inside diameter: Ø 30mm

- outside diameter: Ø 52mm

- overall width: 22mm

and it looks like this:

post-1725-1184019610.jpg

I dont think you can find this bearing because Nachi doesnt sell this bearing to retailers, resellers, private people .. whatever, but only to clutch/compressor manufacturers. But u can try and write to nachi.co.uk (in fact Nachi Europe) and see for yourself, maybe you have more luck.

Unfortunately the chances to find a replacement from a different manufacturer are slim.

Except getting a new compressor or clutch I see two ways to deal with this:

1. Try to find the bearing (Nachi or other), I know of a swiss shop that has them: http://www.swisclima.ch/popup.php?idArt=31...&idGrp=1702 (about 60-70 Euro a piece!)

2. Adapt two single row ball bearings, side by side, 9 mm wide each with a 4 mm shim between them; unfortunately I dont think you'll find a bearing with the outside diameter of 52 mm, the closest one being 47 mm; that means you will need to have a bush made to adapt the new bearings; another option would be 55 mm (and machine the housing to accommodate the bearings) but the only ones that are less than 11 mm wide don't have seals. Depending on what bearings you can find you can imagine other combinations. In terms of speed and resistance to heat (the grease) the specs should be similar to the ones on the bearings used for the tensioners. Of course, they won't last as long as the original bearing but they should be ok for 2-3 seasons.

Good luck.

You're welcome. I investigated the matter a bit further and this is what I came upon:

- It seems that the new part # for this bearing is 30BG05S5G-2DS(T), the "T" could appear on paper but not on the bearing (showed in the table with the bearing specs a gave the link to); the character after BG is 0 (zero) but some people could interpret it as an O (from Orange).

- There are some bearing dealers in Europe that have the new bearing. I managed to find one in UK: http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk . They have this bearing on their website: http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/AIR%20CON%20010207.htm (second line in table). In Europe I found the price range to be between 6 and 14 pounds. Could be a little bit more in UK.

Give them a call and see if they can send you one. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Again, good luck!