Power steering q in a s109

woop

Hi all,

fitting a 4 bolt PAS box with Defender steering column to a 109 that already has extended shackles and spring mounts. I've done my conversion pretty much the same as FridgeFreezers, but instead used a Disco 1 PAS as they are easier to source second hand here in OZ. Does the box need to be lifted up above the chassis rail, or can it be fitted directly to the chassis? With the box fitted temporarily in line with the chassis rail, and the front suspension on full compression on the bumpstops, the pitman arm clears the diff by 30mm and also turns lock to lock also without any obstructions. Just wondering what the go is before i drill any holes and cut the tab off the bottom of the box :)

Nick

You have to site the steering box so that the drop arm doesn't foul the springs. FridgeFreezer raised his so that the top pair of bolts are actually above the chassis rail. He altered the top of the rail to accomodate them.

Les.

Being a D2 box the top bolts are further away than the normal RR/D1/Def PAS boxes hence the bump on top of the rail on mine. The easy answer is "put it where it fits" :P if it fits with 4 tubes through the chassis rail then stick it there! :D

Thanks for that info. Being an ex MIL chassis, it already has longer spring hangers and extended bumpstops, and there is plenty of clearance on full compression with the top of the RHS spring when on full right hand lock. I'll start drilling!

Cheers

Nick