New vibes after 2¨ lift

Gromit

I put in 2 inch lift at the back last week and I started getting some growly vibes when switching from drive to overrun. At about 60mph it´s pretty bad.

When driving or on overrun there´s no noise, it´s only when there´s no load on the transmission.

I reckoned the lift was showing up some wear in the prop shaft UJs, so yesterday I changed both UJs on the rear prop.

Annoyingly, the vibes are still there :angry:

So, what else could it be?

Suggestions on a post card please :)

looking underneath, the only play I can see is possibly the transfer output bearing. Moving the prop shaft yields about 1mm of movement at the outside edge of the handbrake drum.

Could this cause the noise?

Should the transfer end be completely play free, as it is on the diff end of the prop?

anyone?

You have changed the pinon angle with the lift. If you measure the angle of the flange on the transfer case and the angle of the flange on the diff, you will see that they are no longer parallel. If you have leaf springs, you can either put wedges under the springs or extend the front spring hangers. If you have a coiler, the easiest thing to do is change the length of the radius arms in back, and probably buy appropriate control arms as they will need to both be the right length, and have some bends in them.

Jim's correct of course - I assume the lift is on the 110?

But a genuine 2" lift shouldn't really need cranked arms especially as you have more room to play with on a 110. At 3" you start needing to change stuff. Before doing that, try filling the rear end with a couple of hundred pounds of something or other and then bouncing it across a field for about 30 minutes. Leave the weight in the back overnight and then unload and drive it around a bit. If that doesn't settle the springs and you still have prop vibration, you may indeed need to adjust pinion angle.

Before doing that, try filling the rear end with a couple of hundred pounds of something or other and then bouncing it across a field for about 30 minutes. Leave the weight in the back overnight and then unload and drive it around a bit. If that doesn't settle the springs and you still have prop vibration, you may indeed need to adjust pinion angle.

Thanks RPR.

These are britpart springs. Front is ok, but the back has that dragracer look. For a 2" lift, it looks pretty high.

08072007037.jpg

so, I put in about 40 concrete H blocks in the back

08072007040.jpg

and now it looks like this, and the vibration is gone

08072007041.jpg

Drove about for a while and it's been sitting all day with the blocks in the back.

Don't know if it'll stay at a more normal height once I remove the blocks.

If not, who supplies corrected rear radius arms?

I have the same +2" springs on my 110, no sign of any vibes. the only downside in the lift has been the wandering steering at high speed.

Mine have been on for 8 months and haven't settled much if at all and I carry a lot of weight around in it regularly.

Will :)

I have the same +2" springs on my 110, no sign of any vibes. the only downside in the lift has been the wandering steering at high speed.

Mine have been on for 8 months and haven't settled much if at all and I carry a lot of weight around in it regularly.

Do you find the rear very stiff when it's empty? Does it look as high as mine? I suspect not.

Yeah its very high when unladen especially on 255/85x16 tyres. I do have the extra weight of the full rollcage to help out and most of the time its got a fair heap of stuff onboard.

Theres absolutely nothing in there at the moment and its 23" from centre of wheel to edge of wheelarch. It is facing downhill though ;)

Can someone measure a bog standard 110 and see how that compares?

Theres absolutely nothing in there at the moment and its 23" from centre of wheel to edge of wheelarch. It is facing downhill though ;)

Mine's 23" too. Should have measured mine before I put the springs in.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've fitted new trailing arms from Jez (Thanks a lot man, lovely items, once I spent 1/2 an hour getting them out of the wrapping :) ) BUT, the vibes are still there. :unsure:

I know that putting a ton of concrete in the back fixes the vibes, so the t'box and diff still mustn't be parallel when she's empty.

Seeing as it's the lift that is causing this, I guess that the nose of diff is too high (haven't had a proper look as work is a bit mad at the moment) so the new trailing arms need to be extended to move the diff nose back down to its correct position.

Can the trailing arms be shimmed where they attach to the chassis? If so, where can I get some?

I assume that the vibration will be doing some damage to t'box or diff bearings, but I've needed it for work. Probably done about 300 miles with it like this. :(

Thanks a lot guys 'n' gals.

ahh but you dont want them turning up dinked!

the thread length of the arms allows for shimming, I'll punch some out if you need some - any chance you can post some pics up?

if ya dont need the arms in the end I'll happily have em back (saves me making some for Mrs Jez!) :)

Some pics.

I removed the wheel and lowered the axle back down to where it sits normally

The camera is at the same height as the sill and had been leveled with the door tops, cause my driveway isn't level.

DSC_2349.jpg

I then zoomed in and placed an edge against the diff nose, which shows that the diff is nose-high.

DSC_2351.jpg

Jez, is this enough for you to guesstimate the shimmage?

I could put the wheel back and and slacken the trailing arms and try and measure how much they need to be shimmed, but I'm not sure how accurately I can check the diff is level.

I might try and find somewhere level and then try and level the diff with a spirit level.

Cheers,

I'm with Bill on this one, I had a similar vibe on the rear of my discovery and after reading else where on here Bill's suggestion of moving the the three bolt bushings to the front of the bracket I tried it on mine and it has completely cured the vibes.

Pete.

At a guess I think you need to tilt the nose of the diff higher.

I don't understand your logic on this at all.

Putting a lift in raises the nose of the diff.

If you look at the second picture, which was taken level with the door tops, the ruler indicates that the diff nose is too high.

By that logic, the nose needs to be lowered