What are my Options

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

Well after a good weekend at 7S I was it was obvious that my 10 spline axles need to be beefed up a bit. I have pondered several options. I have an 2 ARB'sfitted if that makes a difference.

OPTIONS

1. I have accesss to a drum braked salisbury fairly cheaply. Then convert to disk and then upgrade the 1/2 shafts and locker.

2 Find a 24 spline axle and convert my 10 spl to 24 spl.

3. Fit heavy duty 10 spl 1/2 shafts. GKN or are there others?

I have access to a big socket set, several hammers and hopefully a few friends to beg favours from.

option 2 or 3 are the only really viable ones IMHO

Salisbury = large diff centre,lloss of clearance unless you shave the casing, shafts almost same as rover ones size wise, ARB will need replacing and shafts are limited to Standard ones.

cheapest will be get some GKN shafts fitted. D44 sell them Tangoman Nick runs them and as far as I know he has suffered no issues, you can if desired fit Ashcrofts CVs to the GKNs as and when you want(can afford being a poor army chap.) :)

Or bung some TLC axles under it with lockers already in. As someone pointed out to me today, they're very cheap on ebay and aren't designed as fusible links... by the time you'd sold your lockered rover axles you'd probably be up on the deal even if you had to pay an adult to weld them on.

My coat? Why thank you... :ph34r:

Option 4. Become profiicient at replacing shafts/cv's

Option 5. Get some custom shafts and CV's made up, shafts are around £300 a pair (IIRC) from Rakeway and are likely to be stronger than GKN, then you get to keep your current lockers

Lewis :)

Guest WALFY
Option 4. Become profiicient at replacing shafts/cv's

Option 5. Get some custom shafts and CV's made up, shafts are around £300 a pair (IIRC) from Rakeway and are likely to be stronger than GKN, then you get to keep your current lockers

Lewis :)

I can do option 4 fairly well but am trying to get away from it.

As for option 5 I had just assumed that it was way out of my budget.

To be truthfull I don't have a specific budget just that I need to sort it out. As we all know budgets get overspent on everything we do. Plus if I tell SWMBO I have 300 to spend and then spend 301 she goes into a right hissy fit :o :o :o .

Will give Devon4x4 a call as well as Gigglepin to see what the cost implications are and see what I can do about that.

Anyone got any odd jobs doing? I need some funds. Is it not bob a job this week??

Guest diesel_jim
Plus if I tell SWMBO I have 300 to spend and then spend 301 she goes into a right hissy fit

Yell her you have £400 to spend, but in the end it only cost £301, and you've saved £99!! :D:D

Guest WALFY
To be fair, now that I have replaced the worn CVs which broke it seems that the axles are rather good.

Some people on here saw the abuse they had at 7S this weekend.

Nick

What sort of prices are involved with putting those axles under a 90 and a grown up gluing it all in place.

If you can PM me a contact no so I can pick your brains and I'll let you know the score with the gaiters like James's at the same time if you still require some. Cheers

Mark - i think the gluing will be a bit more than a set of gaiters!!!! by the way Nick i cant find those spare ones i had here - sorry.

Sell your 10 spine rear axle complete as a ready to fit lockers axle - £500????

Buy a new axle, £100, buy new ARB 24 spline £450, now you could leave it at that as your now in the same position as before shaft wise. but you then have the option for Ashcrofts at £220 plus drive members (i think i have some drive members here that will fit)

or

sell the 10 spline arb - £350? fit 24 spline ARB £450 and get shafts to suit (£220) with drive members - that way you keep the old alxe casing knowing its condition.

or

re mortgage the house and get Toyota axles, the mortgage for the insurance rather than Nicks work.

PS have you offered Nick a curly wurly for the job?

Guest diesel_jim

Mark...

not sure what your timescale for this is, but i've just bought a 110 chassis, to start me next project, so i'll be stripping down my 90 (the green one we went to your garage in the other week) and the 110 will naturally have a salisbury rear, so i'll have a spare 90 rear axle going up for grabs.

i'll be keeping the diff out of it (got an ARB in it) but the axle is a disco one, with a really neat welded on thick rear diff guard, nearly new discs, brand new calipers (the latest 90 type) and a pair of V8 24 spline HD shafts.

BUT... it won't be for a month or 3 yet.

If you fancy some bullet proof Nissan Patrol axles. A mate will have some available at the end of the month.

Circa 1992 so coil spring.

Not sure if the rear is disk brake yet, and its possible the rear might have a LSD or locker. He hasn't collected the vehicle yet.

He'll be looking at about £500 a pair, based in Dorset. Suspension links and props available to help anyone considering a transplant.

When I say bullet proof, I'm actually quoting Reads90 - circa 2006. But as he drives a Toyota now, these are probably worthless scrap, but Toyota axles will be worth a gazillion pounds, and take 53" tyres, 900bhp with no oil or grease in them for 100,000 miles :lol::lol::lol:

I bought my Nissan Patrol axles from this chap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Patrol-4-2-6-...1QQcmdZViewItem

He's well into his offroading and very helpful. He has just mailed me to ask if I know anyone else looking for Nissan Axles as he has a few sets in . Mine are from a 93 4.2 diesel and they are coil sprung, 4.11 ratio and have disks all round and a vacuum difflock in the rear. Front ARBs are the same price as for a landie. Expect to pay about £350 a pair.

PS I still haven't got round to fitting them so no questions on that front please :rolleyes: I have bought a set of 3.5" landrover axle brackets from Straightforward as I think this will simplify the job no end. Hopefully david at Llama will be able to make up custom brake hoses and I will just have to bite the bullet I expect to get some custom props made up. Still hope the sum of all bits will be under a grand.

Guest WALFY

I think I'm sorted now. Just got to iron out a few fine details and then the plan has come together. Will let you know if I need more help/advice.

Many thanks for all you offers/advice so far.

The axles I got came from ebay and I paid £350, both axles have locking diffs in them. (electric)

As far as a cost to fit them, I would expect to pay £500 or so. I wouldn't be able to help until Christmas though the way things are going. :rolleyes:

Guest WALFY

Nick

Thanks for the reply. I think I have solved my problem :) , I just have to wait a while and juggle the finances a bit :o :o . Thanks for the advice though.

PM me your contact no and I'll see what I can do with the gaiters. Now James has let you down ;) ;)

When I say bullet proof, I'm actually quoting Reads90 - circa 2006. But as he drives a Toyota now, these are probably worthless scrap, but Toyota axles will be worth a gazillion pounds, and take 53" tyres, 900bhp with no oil or grease in them for 100,000 miles :lol::lol::lol:

I have a camry as a company car not a 4wd toyota. Still have two land rovers for that :D:D:D

There is alot of arguement over here as to which is best Nissan Or Toyota. Both have their + & - . The Limted splid diff in the Nissan is surposed to be the best aviable Though.

Ali