Move your drivers seat away from the door.

I have recently bought a new defender 110. The seats are so close to the doors that when I go over a bump my shoulder rubs on the B post.

I do not get this problem in the 90 as I have changed the seats and in doing so I moved them in a bit, using some large checker plate sqares.

I do not want to do this in the new car as then you can not access the battery box.

So, does anyone make up extensions for the two seat runners that move them over 10mm or so to give you a bit more room to the door while looking fairly standard. There is plenty of space between the seat and the cubby box in the 9 seater.

If not I'll have to get measuring, and weld some brackets on to the seat runners.

Cheers

Richard

Simonr

would be a good person to ask.

other than that change the steering wheel for a smaller diameter one

that'll help with a bit of elbow room at least.

Tony

Richard, A 14" or 14.5" wheel transforms the steering - would thoroughly recommend. look on Ebay for cheap and excellent MOMO leather wheels.

By the way, weren't the driver's seat runners on the 90 moved 10 mm towards the centre from the 300 TDi onwards? Did they not do this on the 110?

Neil

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the steering wheel, but that is fine. Its great to drive and the wheel does not touch my legs.

The problem is the distance the seat is from the door. They did move them over from the TDis on but not enough.

The only cars I own are defenders so I am used to the 'elbows down' driving position which is natural. So I never bang my elbow.

The B post intrudes in to the interior more than the upper door around the glass, so if you are not quite as tall you are not as far back. Hence your shoulder will not rub on it and you are OK. I am 6'3".

On my truck cab 90 because I could not move the seat back as far I had to bend up the side/headlight switch so it did not dig in to my knee.

Richard

The Td5 Defender's are an even tighter squeeze behind the wheel than earlier models. Don't why that is, all i know is at 6' 5" I struggle to get my right foot from the accelerator on to the brake pedal jamming my knee up into the steering wheel. Yeah, I know I'm tall, but this wasn't a problem on older models so somethings definitely changed.

If yours isn't a station wagon, one solution would be to chop out the central bulkhead and fit a set of MUD Rails from www.mudstuff.co.uk. The rails won't shift the seat any further inboard, but will allow you get the seat further back so your shoulder shouldn't be so tight against the B-Post. If you've got a Station Wagon without a bulkhead, just fit the rails.

Kev

Hi,

I'm 6'5" too and my Td5 steering wheel is way too big, I get it trapped on my legs when

manoevering about. I have to rest my clutch foot between the clutch and brake pedal too

which is a bit dodgy! :blink:

Will any aftermarket wheel fit? Mines a 1999 Td5 with a flat faced wheel, not the later one

with the daft lump... :D

cheers,

tom

Are we talking about station wagons with no bulkhead here, because I think the steering wheel is OK if you have room to move the seat back.

Unless you lot have got legs like tree trunks. :P

I am getting a set of brackets made up to move the seat over 10mm to cure the problem of shoulder rub on the B post. Leaving the steering wheel as it is though.

Cheers

Richard