Any electrical experts on here?

Basically a couple of weeks my father in law baught an S reg 300tdi 90 stolen recovered

next to the battery theres 7 black wires not fastened to anything :unsure: just bare which cant be right!

and also hes needing to know which wires are which on the "black box" you can get ignition lights up joining the two fatest wires but the others dont seam to do anything

please help as he was really hoping to have it on the road by now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim

They'll plug into the spider unit... that's LR's immobilisation unit to stop you turning the engine over and to stop the injectoin pump solenoid from getting any juice to let fuel flow.

you either need to trace the wires back to see which one does what (and it's difficult as they're all black.... specifically for making that job difficult to thiefs!)

or go and buy AMR4956 "spider bypass plug" which should sort you out. although you'll no longer have any form of immobilisation.

Dunno about 7 wires, there are normally 6.... 4 thick and 2 thin.

OK, I have removed a few spiders and this is what you do:

1) Ignore the two thin black wires.

2) muck about with the other four until the ignition comes 'on'. There is a limited number of permutations of wires.

3) Join the other two and the starter will be energised. ie it will turn the engine when you turn the key.

The ignition comes on without the key turned? Cos i can get the ignition lights on without touching any black wires mate ? well the lights come on the dash although the heater etc that should work doesnt

ill have a go later today and see whats what :)

Dunno about 7 wires, there are normally 6.... 4 thick and 2 thin.

OK, I have removed a few spiders and this is what you do:

1) Ignore the two thin black wires.

2) muck about with the other four until the ignition comes 'on'. There is a limited number of permutations of wires.

3) Join the other two and the starter will be energised. ie it will turn the engine when you turn the key.

Fantastic imobiliser then

Easily accessed and easily bypassed :blink:

Ok, revised posting....

1a) turn ignition key to on position, by positioning it between your left thumb and idex finger. Twist key in a clockwise direction. To find out what direction is clockwise, it is if you look at a clock and starting at 1, the numbers get bigger. That is the direction to turn the key. When you feel spring resisance on the key, let go of it. Then go and have a cup of tea as a reward. ;)

NB make sure key is inserted into the lock before trying above procedure.

ps. have you heard about the TD5 Defender where the engine would not stop if the brakes were on?

ps. have you heard about the TD5 Defender where the engine would not stop if the brakes were on?

I thought the solenoid on my 300tdi had gone duff as the engine would not stop on the key.

Eventually noticed that it was because I had a (toy car) battery charging via the cigarette lighter.

Must have had enough voltage to back feed through the wiring and hold the solenoid open!

IIRC the TD5 was similar, brake light power back feeding the circuits.

Well ive managed to get it running with the 4 thicker wires you mention, but what are the other ones for? Theres a thick wire and two thin ones?

Problem ive now got is how do i get it all working back on the ignition, as joining the wires from the thing i cut out actually by passes the ignition and will work/run even without the key turned.

My td5 also does the run-on trick if i turn it off whilst holding the brakes on

Well ive managed to get it running with the 4 thicker wires you mention, but what are the other ones for? Theres a thick wire and two thin ones?

Problem ive now got is how do i get it all working back on the ignition, as joining the wires from the thing i cut out actually by passes the ignition and will work/run even without the key turned.

My td5 also does the run-on trick if i turn it off whilst holding the brakes on

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the 6-wire one is fitted to 300tdi's. I have no idea what the smaller wires do, and they don't seem to make a difference. Someone else will have to help you with the TD5 setup. It can't be difficult if LR can do it. Try mucking about with the wires with the key turned on, get the ignition to work and then see if the ignition goes off when you pull the wires apart. Then muck around with the other 3 to see which two allow the starter motor to work. ps I would pull out the fuel pump relay before doing all this.

brakes on/engine won't stop... Check your rear stop/tail lamp bulbs. You should find that one or both of the bulbs is a single-filament that has been forced into the socket. So when the brakes are applied strange things will happen. The bulb should be a 5/21w twin-filament type. Hope this helps at least.