Adapting a PS pump to a Prima or Fourtrak 2.8 conversion?

KevinNY

I am dropping either a prima or Daihatsu 2.8 Td in my series 3 that already has power steering. Adapting the PS pump is now the only fly left in the ointment. Any experience with this? Could the original PS pump useb in some montegos be used on the prima?

If we're being picky there will be different flow rates/pressure settings etc. etc.

However, a trip to Hyphose and a few pennies should see you with a nice set of high-pressure hydraulic hoses to join it all up, and unless the pump is really poor or produces so much pressure it blows the seals out of your PAS box it should be fine.

My mate has Diahatsu 2.8 with its own pump running LR90 PAS box. It really struggles. He has now bought a ZF hiigh capacity pump and a hydo-assist kit to see if he can get any steering back (36" tyres!)

Not 100% right there! Its actually a LR pump thats had a bracket made to fit it to the Diahatsu block. The main problem with it is the pulley on the crank was for a 10.5mm wide belt and the pulley on the pump was for a 13mm wide belt so a 10.5 belt was running on the bottom of the pump pulley rather than the sides of the V and will slip when trying to drive the pump. If its no better with the new matched pair of pulleys (assuming he's now got the right belt for it as when we put it on we only had a 9.5 wide, Doh!!!!) then I'll say the pump or box is at fault. But even with the best L/R power steering they struggle with large tyre's and extra offset, Roll on Hydro assist!

But to answer the original question, Try and check the flow rate and max PSI of the replacement pump and if its somewhere close to the original fit it, If its a mile out try and sort something else. The flow rate has to be atleast as much as original but too much wont be a problem, Max P.S.I wants to be close, too little and you'll have heavy steering but too much and you'll be risking blowing seals in your steering box. Pulley size to keep the pump speed right at tickover (and avoid lazy steering at low speed) might be a consideration but they aint usually too far out.

Kevin,

Unless you've flogged it with the engine, I would try to mate the pump you hav on the petrol 4 pot to the new engine - better the devil you know.... When I had the Toy pump on my old 2.25, we just fabbed a bracket as per Jon's suggestion above and it did rather nicely. I know you've had some "squeal" and may want to rectify that, but if you are happy with the PS you have now, I'd try to keep the pump.