Does this seem a little weak to anyone else?

BIG DAN T

I recently came upon some synthetic winch rope while looking on Geared to go.co.uk (sorry,can't work out how to do links) and at first glance it looked to be ok and come in a huge 14mm size. I then read that it is only reccomended for winches op to 9500lbs, what is it made from plaited baler twine?!!

I recently came upon some synthetic winch rope while looking on Geared to go.co.uk (sorry,can't work out how to do links) and at first glance it looked to be ok and come in a huge 14mm size. I then read that it is only reccomended for winches op to 9500lbs, what is it made from plaited baler twine?!!

It says MBL (minimum break load I assume) 8.5T which is 8500kg which is 18700lb - does seem a bit puny for 14mm!

Edited to add 12mm Dyneema-Bowrope quotes nearly twice that - 16000kg - for a 12mm rope...

It says MBL (minimum break load I assume) 8.5T which is 8500kg which is 18700lb - does seem a bit puny for 14mm!

Edited to add 12mm Dyneema-Bowrope quotes nearly twice that for a 12mm rope...

The writing says its only 8 strand rather than the usual 12 strand hence the strength. 14mm is big so it'll also reduce what you can take on the drum / how much you can bunch. Its also not cheap. IMHO speak to Andy at Ruftraks who'll be able to sort you out with something more appropriate.

It says it sheathed so not your normal dyneema outer. The sheath presumably increases the diameter without increasing strength. Would be good where lots of abrasion, sand / rocks etc?