Brake line diagrams

alan kemp

Can anyone point me to a website that will give advice on piping up my new brake system. I want to fit fiddle brakes to the rear and probably need a double feed to each caliper, Wilwood racing calipers with 4 pistons on each.

I have bought a pipe flaring kit and a bender but need to know where to buy all the plumbing bits as well.

Cheers

Are you meaning you want to use the rear calipers for normal brakes and fiddles, or that you are fitting additional calipers?

My dynalites are just plumbed in with one line, unless you've bought something strange I would hope this would be the case on yours too?

As for plumbing supplies, most stuff can be had from motor factors or Frost although you may need an adapter to go from the American thread on the wilwoods to whatever thread you use on the rest of the vehicle. Think Automotive can supply just about anything threaded.

As for the circuit diagram - big port on master cylinder goes to the front brakes, small one to the rears, a T piece on the axle gives you a left and right pipe. Sorted! B)

a T piece on the axle gives you a left and right pipe. Sorted! B)

A T piece on the rear axle won't work if you want fiddles as each caliper will need a seperate feed from the fiddle cylinder....

The calipers are almost certainly a taper thread ( 1/8"npt ) so will need a male / male adaptor if you want to go to them with copper pipe.

This is a job I do all the time for racers, rally cars ( normally hydraulic handbrake rather than fiddles ), triallers etc. Whilst this forum knows me for banging on about LR suspension all the time at least half of my business is motorsport plumbing.

Give me a shout via PM or on 01938.850382 if you want any help.

David

Alan how fast you expecting to go to need racing brakes on the challenger, just in case you'd better put a bungee rope on the back in case you overcook it, and a faster bitch to keep up with it!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Cannot wait to see it mate,

Good luck ;)

Are you meaning you want to use the rear calipers for normal brakes and fiddles, or that you are fitting additional calipers?

As for the circuit diagram - big port on master cylinder goes to the front brakes, small one to the rears, a T piece on the axle gives you a left and right pipe. Sorted! B)

Cheers guys, I want to use the rear set for the normal braking application and add fiddle brakes to the rear. I have a bias valve to take the lines from, is that the best way to go or is there another valve that will give a "dual circuit" system?

Put on a new bias valve today and did a bit of research. There is a black label over the input connection on the calipers so all I need is 1 feed to each one. Saley tells me fiddle brakes are in line with the rear brake pipe so that should be easy enough.

Are we going to see you on the challange scene Boothy???

I am building the new car to be a lot more stable and with very little articulation, speed trial events will be included in the yearly calender, it seems we will be getting more of them in the future.

Hi Alan,

I'll be glad to see you in something more stable and yes I will definitly be doing some challenges from now on, I did the clubman and got 3rd overall at Mawzley Furze last month and thorougly enjoyed it especially beating Saley by 14 places, perhaps it was a freak of nature but it was a good feeling especially after all the taunting I got beforehand, and I won the speed trial by a mile in my missfiring 4.6efi whilst still running it in.

So definitly hooked now ready for the big ones, Warn 6hp 8274's front and rear, Simex and 2" lifted now and made it even shorter although its just tipping in at 2000kg even without me in. Just dreading the deep water in a V8 but who knows.

See you soon and good luck with the brakes, oh and I use a line locker on my system to lock fluid in the brakes whilst pulling etc, and depending where you plumb it you can actually lock all four wheels on which is dead handy whilst you are recovering someone with your winch and saves you sitting with your foot on the brakes and takes a bit of load of your transfer case if using a x eng disc conversion, all i do is push brakes on, lock line locker and use handbrake it's then solid.

Just a thought while your plumbing.

Boothy out.

a T piece on the axle gives you a left and right pipe. Sorted! B)

A T piece on the rear axle won't work if you want fiddles as each caliper will need a seperate feed from the fiddle cylinder....

The calipers are almost certainly a taper thread ( 1/8"npt ) so will need a male / male adaptor if you want to go to them with copper pipe.

This is a job I do all the time for racers, rally cars ( normally hydraulic handbrake rather than fiddles ), triallers etc. Whilst this forum knows me for banging on about LR suspension all the time at least half of my business is motorsport plumbing.

Give me a shout via PM or on 01938.850382 if you want any help.

David

David - Slightly off topic, but are you going to be at Billing, hopefully my D-Lander will be there and we can finally sort the brake hoses and lines out if you have a spare few mins when i come up to get her :)

David - Slightly off topic, but are you going to be at Billing, hopefully my D-Lander will be there and we can finally sort the brake hoses and lines out if you have a spare few mins when i come up to get her :)

I should be there but I won't be trading - a number of trade customers have asked me if they can sell my stuff there so it made sense to let them pick up the over the top bill for a stand and me to just provide the stock :D:D

If I am going to get there - and I hope I do - then I will happily measure it up with you whilst we are there.

David