Tubed rims and BFGs

sgnas

Have got a set of heavy duty rims of the "tubed" variety.

Want to put some 235/85 BFGs on, which are considered tubeless.

I know the urban myth that tubeless tyres chafe the tubes. Anyone else running tubless tyres with tubes? Have any problems?

TIA

Anyone else running tubless tyres with tubes?

Yes

Have any problems?

One puncture in about 3 or 4 years.

Using good quality tubes helps, I like Michelin.

Also make sure you remove any sticky labels from teh insides of the tyres as they chaff the tubes.

Have got a set of heavy duty rims of the "tubed" variety.

Want to put some 235/85 BFGs on, which are considered tubeless.

I know the urban myth that tubeless tyres chafe the tubes. Anyone else running tubless tyres with tubes? Have any problems?

TIA

It isn't a myth but affects the same wheel and tyre and tube combination in different ways on different vehicles, must be down to variables like driving style I guess.

Cheap tubes are often not too good, Michelins are good, and removing ALL labels from the inside of the tyre is a must.

I have to say I wouldn't do it because it loses one of the main benefits of tubeless which is slow deflation if you get a nail in the tyre at speed on the road, but that is just my 2p. I have never had problems with losing pressure due to mud in the bead of tubeless tyres though, some say it is a problem on BFGs but not for me.

It isn't a myth but affects the same wheel and tyre and tube combination in different ways on different vehicles, must be down to variables like driving style I guess.

Cheap tubes are often not too good, Michelins are good, and removing ALL labels from the inside of the tyre is a must.

I have to say I wouldn't do it because it loses one of the main benefits of tubeless which is slow deflation if you get a nail in the tyre at speed on the road, but that is just my 2p. I have never had problems with losing pressure due to mud in the bead of tubeless tyres though, some say it is a problem on BFGs but not for me.

No problem in over 4 years. Just the one puncture.

Paul.

About 10 years ago my dad has new BFG trac edges on lwb rims fitted to his s3 sw at the time. He suffered with about 8 punctures in a fairly short space of time due to the labels rubbing through the tubes. (He has a very comprehensive service record for it so I could find out teh makes of the tubes, and even which wheels had more punctures!!)

The problem wasnt that well known at the time!

Pete

I have run tubes in tubeless tyres on tube type rims for many years and have done many tens of thousands of trans african miles this way. The only time I have had significant problems was with cheap tubes and rusty rims.

I would thoroughly recommend Michelin Airstop tubes. Never ever had a chaffing problem with these tubes. Agree with everyone else - remove any labels + make sure there is no loose rust or grit in the assembly.

Regards,

Diff

Tubeless tyres are labelled as tubeless to show they can be run tubless, it doesnt mean you can't use tubes.

And also to show they are designed to be tubeless. Tube type tyres like Avon Rangemasters and General SAG xplys have a much smoother carcass inside than something like a BFG - its to prevent the tube chafing, because those tyres are designed to be tubed :)

Having said that, Land Rover offered tubeless tyres (Michelin XPC 7.50R16) as a tubeless tyre fitted with a tube for some time. The steel rims have now gone to being tubeless in the last year or so but they were tubed with those tyres for some time so it must be OK...

......The steel rims have now gone to being tubeless in the last year or so but they were tubed with those tyres for some time so it must be OK...

We've been under the impression that the ANR4636 PM steel wheel is the standard wheel used on new UK market Defenders.

Is this not correct?

I recall reading somewhere that the ANR4636 PM wheel replaced the riveted NRC7878 PM "109" wheel in 1996 or so as standard fitment on Defenders.

Does anybody run tubeless tires on stock LR tubed steel wheels?

Cheers,

Garth

Cheers,

Garth

Yes, see my earlier reply. No problems with decent tubes in tube type standard Land Rover rims with various makes of tubeless tyres.

Never use tubeless tyres without a tube on a tube type rim - there is no bead retention lip on a tube type rim, so it must have a tube fitted.

Regards,

Diff

We've been under the impression that the ANR4636 PM steel wheel is the standard wheel used on new UK market Defenders.

Is this not correct?

I recall reading somewhere that the ANR4636 PM wheel replaced the riveted NRC7878 PM "109" wheel in 1996 or so as standard fitment on Defenders.

Cheers,

Garth

I'm not in the UK. New Defenders here had tubed type wheels for years and went to tubeless (but otherwise identical in appearance) wheels a year or so back. No idea on part numbers at the moment. You can still order tube type wheels as an option though.

People here run tubeless tyres on tube type rims by fitting TR15 valve cores to the rims, and it is a really really dangerous idea because there is no inner hump to retain the tyre. Having said that nobody has been killed yet - but road speeds here are quite low.

<snip>

People here run tubeless tyres on tube type rims by fitting TR15 valve cores to the rims, and it is a really really dangerous idea because there is no inner hump to retain the tyre. Having said that nobody has been killed yet - but road speeds here are quite low.

two different tyre fitters suggested I run my tubed rims tubeless years ago as I kept welding tubes to tyres, then had a puncture at over 100km/h through a corner and the tyre rolled off the rim as the tube just collapses.

I've run this way for the last five years and it's much more reliable than running tubes.

The bead on a 130 rim is bloody wide, and the inner bead doesn't really hold the tyre on, the air pressure does. ;)

two different tyre fitters suggested I run my tubed rims tubeless years ago as I kept welding tubes to tyres, then had a puncture at over 100km/h through a corner and the tyre rolled off the rim as the tube just collapses.

I've run this way for the last five years and it's much more reliable than running tubes.

The bead on a 130 rim is bloody wide, and the inner bead doesn't really hold the tyre on, the air pressure does. ;)

Well the manufacturer doesn't recommend it so if you have a blowout followed by a fkn great big accident and then find the insurers refuse to pay up don't say you weren't warned ;)

Tubeless tyre on a tubeless rim is the best option IMHO.