Winch choices

Hi All,

Thought i would start a new topic on winches as i am looking to buy one sometime soon. I have been looking at some of the stuff from Warn - T Max - Britpart - Superwinch. All electric. Its to fit a 2003 td5 90 i recently bought ( huge change from 200tdi disco). I reckon this would be best place for advice. :)

Drifting OT, but have you first hand experience of the Champion hydraulic unit? I'm looking at Milemarkers which seem more robust than the champion.

A lot of people have good things to say about Superwinch, and plenty of bad things to say about cheap chinese copies. I think the important question is what do you want the winch for? play days? utility? challenge?

Hydraulic all the way though... :P

Hydraulic only good if engine is still running though, electric with twin battery option should always get you out of poo poo.

like has been said though, depends on what you want it for, mine is like keeping a first aid kit in the car, emergencies only!

I have been using (and abusing) a T-max 9500 for about 2 years now, never let me down yet! So I would say great value for money, as it cost me only half the price of a Warn.

I am thinking of upgrading to a dual hydraulic unit though, probably Milemarker, but I have yet to find a suitable (non-PTO) pump.

Davie

what do you want the winch for?

occasional greenlane use?

commercial use

competition work

bling

back up

self recovery

recovery others

Ooops guess i should have included what my uses were - good job there are more awake people than me around :D

Its a mix of self recovery, pulling over the odd tree in my garden in the name of forestry and at my work for pulling lawn maintenence machinery up and down sets of steps occasionaly.

Did have a T Max 9500 on last landy but found it rattled like mad from new and its solenoids werent exactly weather proof for a deluxe aberdeenshire winter ( lots of salt)

I would go for a superwinch EP9 if buying new. It has sealed solenoids and is a good winch.

Otherwise look for a secondhand husky.

You don't sound like you need the complication of hydraulic when electric will do the job you need....

Cheers

Mark

so speed isn't an issue so i woudl go for something reliable and would echo Marks comments above EP9 or a Husky if you have a bit more ££ to spend. Mind you the husky takes a none std bumper mounting so its not quite as easy to pick and choose once you have it if you wanted to change.

Prob worth dropping David Bowyers a line.

I cant comment on the T Max ones or Champion as i have never used them.

but v££ for lbs i would go for an EP9

Did have a T Max 9500 on last landy but found it rattled like mad from new and its solenoids werent exactly weather proof for a deluxe aberdeenshire winter ( lots of salt)

I put my solenoid box under the hood and rerouted the controls to the dashboard (switch + remote), works like a charm.

It does make a lot of noise though...

Drifting OT, but have you first hand experience of the Champion hydraulic unit? I'm looking at Milemarkers which seem more robust than the champion.

A lot of people have good things to say about Superwinch, and plenty of bad things to say about cheap chinese copies. I think the important question is what do you want the winch for? play days? utility? challenge?

Hydraulic all the way though... :P

Used the new 2 speed Champion on the rear of my 90 for Ladoga and found it just as good as the milemarker on the front ,kept on pulling a Volvo C303 long after he flattened 4 Optimas and ran out of petrol trying to keep them charged. :o